• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Natural History Of Staffordshire: Fauna and Flora (1 Viewer)

First gatekeeper butterflies for me this year on mossfield landfill, lots of them as well.
gatekeeper.jpg

Stu

Burnet abberration

Hi all

It would appear that Six-spot Burnets are prone to aberrations where spots are merged etc.

However it appears to be unusual for this to occur in Narrow-bordered Five Spots so for interest, attached is one that I found last week - quite a striking insect!

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_2830-2.jpg
    IMG_2830-2.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 6
A helleborne species was found today on RSPB land in the north of the county. Given their lack of records in the county I'm a little shy about putting where exactly. But it looks to be either narrow-lipped helleborine or Violet helleborine, both of which SER says there are no records for Staffordshire (NBN gateway suggests similar, although under-recording might be an issue to consider). I will head back out to it with a camera and a wildflower key tomorrow and see which it is.

Adam

A couple of pics from my girlfriends moth trap the other week. Pretty impressive haul really; I think that night she had 275 moths of just over 50 species!

Adam

Attachments

• P7221105 [800x600].jpg
    P7221105 [800x600].jpg
    76 KB · Views: 16
  • P7221093 [800x600].jpg
    P7221093 [800x600].jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 13
The helleborine has been ID'd on the orchid thread. It looks to be a broad-leafed helleborine, but with rather odd characteristics, hence the mis-ID (honest). Interesting comments though from a poster on there...

"This looks to be a Broad-leaved helleborine with a variant lip shape, mirroring Narrow-lipped helleborine.

The plant is clearly cross-pollinated, as indicated by fully removed pollinia lying on the flower on the close-up, and clear viscidia visible on some flowers. The bases to the ovaries are also quite purplish, further indicating Broad-leaved.

The stem is greenish rather than purple, and although the flowers are very widely open, recalling Violet helleborine, the colour of the flowers and stem doesn't look right for that species.

I'd be most interested in seeing this plant in the flesh, as I have never seen a BLH with a lip like this (except perhaps in Buckinghamshire...)"

I've attached the photos too.

Adam

Attachments

• IMG_8954 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_8954 [800x600].jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8962 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_8962 [800x600].jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 6
Fantastic hatch 0f Banded Demoiselle on the canal between Stone and Burston; literally 100s and 100s, never seen the like before. Apart from those just a couple of Brown Hawkers.

Managed to catch up with the Sycamore at home at last as it slowly makes its way northwards in the county.

Dave

First common darters dragonflies of the year over on PHwetland walk, I think the moth is a shaded broad-bar.
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr242/pheobe47/butterflys%20and%20moths/6-8-2012001.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr242/pheobe47/butterflys%20and%20moths/6-8-2012002.jpg
Stu

At last butterflies in the garden lots of small tortoishells and whites. first southen hawker over on PHwetland wallk.
8-8-2012002.jpg

This is a photo of a putting green over on what was PH golf course, nature soon takes over.
8-8-2012001.jpg

Stu

Finally, my local park has produced some butterflies. Only been looking once every couple of weeks since April, although skipped most of July due to the bad weather. 6 gatekeepers (including a mating pair), 6 meadow browns, 2 small tortoiseshell, 2 gv white and 1 large white.

Also had the first ever blue butterfly in my garden this afternoon. Although, I didn't get to it in time to ID it to species level.

Anyone seen any cinnabar moth caterpillars yet? Thought they would be out by now??

Might be a good night to stick the moth trap on and go for a walk with a bat detector.

Adam

A quick trip to Hales Hall pool and Chartley Moss yesterday. Lots of Gatekeepers around Hales Hall, a few Comma's, 2 Brown Hawkers, Common Blue Damsels and Blue tailed Damsels.

Chartley moss was alive, 1 Adder seen, slow worms, Common Lizzard, lots of Common Blue, Azure and Blue tailed Damsels, 1 large Red damsel and 1 Emerald damsel. Lots of Black Darters about...mainly tenerals. Also saw a Marsh Harrier here.

Attachments

• DSC_0160.jpg
    DSC_0160.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0215.jpg
    DSC_0215.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0337.jpg
    DSC_0337.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0385.jpg
    DSC_0385.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0415.jpg
    DSC_0415.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 11
Purple hairstreak seen at Coombes Valley yesterday. If you are trying to see this species, the advice is to not go looking until about 4pm, when it is more active apparently. It's meant to be quite widespread and common, just under recorded due to it liking tree tops rather than nectaring close to the ground. Nice butterfly though if you get to see one.

Adam

Cheers Stu, will sort a day out and take you over to Chartley, best wait until the white faced darters are about..neil.

The blue might have been holly blue Adam - they seen to be commonest in urban gardens
Nick

Finally, my local park has produced some butterflies. Only been looking once every couple of weeks since April, although skipped most of July due to the bad weather. 6 gatekeepers (including a mating pair), 6 meadow browns, 2 small tortoiseshell, 2 gv white and 1 large white.

Also had the first ever blue butterfly in my garden this afternoon. Although, I didn't get to it in time to ID it to species level.

Anyone seen any cinnabar moth caterpillars yet? Thought they would be out by now??

Might be a good night to stick the moth trap on and go for a walk with a bat detector.

Adam

Cheers Stu, will sort a day out and take you over to Chartley, best wait until the white faced darters are about..neil.

I'm sure you have the necessary Neil but for others I should point out that access to Chartley is strictly by permit and it is dangerous to go there without having first been taken round by the warden. It is after all only a a couple of feet of peat floating on 30ft water!

Dave

Adam
Hi Adam been pulling lot's of Ragwort up from the meadows up at Parkhall and not seen many at all just the odd few , col

Hi Adam been pulling lot's of Ragwort up from the meadows up at Parkhall and not seen many at all just the odd few , col

Saw my first ones yesterday up in Lancaster. Must be some around here, the chance to go look for them (or anything else) would be a miracle though.

Adam

At last loads of butterflies in the yard today, including peacocks, small tortoishells, whites, a speckled wood and a gatekeeper, plus a brown hawker dragonfly.
Stu

were lots of butterflies around yesterday had 4 peacock in the garden a few large whites and small tort , meadow brown , saw esle where common blue , comma , gatekeeper and small skipper

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back