• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new 8x30 CLl's (1 Viewer)

gulf1263

Has anyone seen or tried the new 8x30 CL's, are they a step up from the
SLC's?
I thinking about getting a pair and am wondering if they are worth it?
Thanks
Art

Has anyone seen or tried the new 8x30 CL's, are they a step up from the
SLC's?
I thinking about getting a pair and am wondering if they are worth it?
Thanks
Art

Their specs don't appear to be as generous as the SLC. And you can, if you look around, get the old 8 x 30 SLC at a lower price as it looks like it is being discontinued. I paid about $200.00 less for mine than the new ones are listed at.

Bob

Their specs don't appear to be as generous as the SLC. And you can, if you look around, get the old 8 x 30 SLC at a lower price as it looks like it is being discontinued. I paid about $200.00 less for mine than the new ones are listed at.

Bob

Even sight unseen, the 8x30 SLCNeu is a better buy because of its generous 7.8* FOV. Plus, it's "tried and true." However, the objective side focuser isn't everybody's cup o' tea.

My take is that the CLs are a new kind of hybrid compact/midsized roof with the size of a large compact bin and the optics of a midsized bin. Features that some users might find very appealing. They would get similar or less FOV with a compact and smaller exit pupils and aperture.

The other market might be for the big handed birder who might want a compact roof but can't hold one steady due to its diminutive size and feather weight.

Like all bins, the CL is a set of compromises, for some people it might be the right combination. We shall see!

Brock

Last edited:
New CLs

I tried the new CLs a couple of weeks ago at a birdwatching fair in Hamburg.

In my opinion they are on par with the Zeiss Conquests but definetily not so good as the alphas in terms of contrast and color.

They are meant as a cheap alternative to the alpha-Swarovskis and not more. So they don't have HD/ED glass and, according to the salesperson in Hamburg, a composite housing instead of the usual magnesium.

They probably did what Zeiss did with the Victory: magnesium reinforced composite/polycarbonate/or some such. It seems to work well and it lowers the weight.

I hope to compare the 8x30 CL with my 8x32 FL and see what happens. I'm always looking for smaller and lighter, but the endeavor has its limits. If Swaro had pulled out all the stops on this one (ED etc.) they might have made a better choice. We shall see.

Mark

Mark,
If they had pulled out all the stops they would have made another $1700.00 binocular!
Bob

I suspect even Swaro could add ED for a hundred bucks--if they wanted to.;) But maybe they don't need it. I could be wrong but it seems the advantage of ED is proportional to the size of the objective. My Leica 8x20's would be improved very little, it seems to me, by adding ED glass.

Possibly Swaro kept these CL's notably second class to avoid competition with the 8x32 Swarovision (arriving when??). But again, I'm just speculatin'.

Mark

I tried the new CLs a couple of weeks ago at a birdwatching fair in Hamburg.

In my opinion they are on par with the Zeiss Conquests but definetily not so good as the alphas in terms of contrast and color.

They are meant as a cheap alternative to the alpha-Swarovskis and not more. So they don't have HD/ED glass and, according to the salesperson in Hamburg, a composite housing instead of the usual magnesium.

It sounds like they succeeded in competing with the Conquests, and that was very likely the idea-- to make a "second tier" series of bins to compete with Zeiss.

The problem in doing this for both companies is that Zeiss and Swarovski are names that are synonymous with "the best". So for those who already have alphas or can afford them, the CL might not have much appeal unless the buyer really wants a compact and lightweight alternative to their full sized alphas.

Then again, the Leica 8x32 HD is already relatively lightweight and compact, so the deep pocketed need not sacrifice FOV if they want "compact and lightweight".

But there is brand loyalty to consider. Some people are Swaro fans, some are Zeissites, and others are Leica devotees. Some will buy based primarily on brand.

From the CL video, it seems that the market these new bins are targeted at are those who want to buy a full sized Swaro, but can't afford one. To me, this sounds like they might be aiming for younger birders and hunters and journalists of all ages.

However, until the 8x30 SLCneu is discontinued or the price is raised substantially, I think it's going to be difficult for the 8x30 CL to compete with the SLC. It's not as compact as the CL, but at 20 oz. it's almost as lightweight. The long close focus on the SLC might be a turn off for some birders as might the objective side focuser.

For those who have no brand loyalties or don't care about the brand's "snob appeal," there are other $1,000 bins out there in the second tier, some with ED glass, that can compete well against the CLs optically. And even the mid-price segment keeps getting better and better.

But I'm sure Swaro studied the sales of Conquests and determined that it was worth the R & D to make the CLs. Of course, marketing research isn't correct 100% of the time - remember "New Coke"? :)

What to look for next is initial quality reports. People who bought them and within the first few months to a year had problems develop. That's the true test of any bin, but particularly one that costs a grand. Sure Swaro will fix the problem for free, no questions ask, but who wants to be a bin that you know is going to have problems? That put me off to the EDG 1s.

In particular, look for tight focusers or ones that turn smoothly in one direction but harder in the other direction. That seems to be Swaro's Achilles Heel.

Let the deep pocketed chasing the latest out of Europe be the guinea pigs. :)

Brock

Last edited:
I received the new Limited FALL EDITION, 2011 of Cabela's Catalog in today's mail. They are listed. 8 x 30 @ 929.99 and 10 x 30 @ 999.99. FOV'S 372' and 300' @ 1000 yards. Weights; 17.6 and 18.2 respectively. Swarobright, swarodur and swarotop optimized coatings.

And you can also get a Cabela's 50th Anniversary Special Edition "incredibly compact (only 50mm)" Swarovski EL 10 x 50 with"swarovison technology" in a special wooden presentation box for 2,599.99. Only 200 will be made.

Bob

Last edited:
And you can also get a Cabela's 50th Anniversary Special Edition "incredibly compact (only 50mm)" Swarovski EL 10 x 50 with"swarovison technology" in a special wooden presentation box for 2,599.99. Only 200 will be made.

And it comes with a bottle of 16yr Lagavulin, right?

I received the new Limited FALL EDITION, 2011 of Cabela's Catalog in today's mail. They are listed. 8 x 30 @ 929.99 and 10 x 30 @ 999.99. FOV'S 372' and 300' @ 1000 yards. Weights; 17.6 and 18.2 respectively. Swarobright, swarodur and swarotop optimized coatings.

Bob

These will look great in my lighted Pottery Barn curio cabinet next to my collection of tektites and Tiki statues!

Brock

For those who have no brand loyalties or don't care about the brand's "snob appeal," there are other $1,000 bins out there in the second tier, some with ED glass, that can compete well against the CLs optically. And even the mid-price segment keeps getting better and better.

In particular, look for tight focusers or ones that turn smoothly in one direction but harder in the other direction. That seems to be Swaro's Achilles Heel.

Let the deep pocketed chasing the latest out of Europe be the guinea pigs. :)

Brock

In particular, look for folks with shallow pockets writing off bins they've never even seen. I mean seriously, what do you or anybody else know about the CL's?

I guess now we will get a brief respite from rolling ball and CA, and can look forward to many more posts on the dreaded Achilles Heel focuser.

SONA posted that CL video months ago and it showed an employee unpacking a box of CL's. So where are they? I haven't heard of any available yet.

Mark

Cabela's is listing them in their current Fall Master Catalog. I presume they are available there.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I'll see if they have them. EO doesn't have them yet. I'll give the CL's a look even though I kinda doubt I'd buy them. I am intrigued by the size/weight but they better be something pretty special at that price.

Mark

PS: they are indeed hitting the shelves. Any takers?

Last edited:
They are indeed hitting the shelves. Any takers?

Not me. I just got myself a Nikon 8x32 SE, and they'd have to be quite a bit better than the SE for me to buy them ... Not very likely, I reckon.

I'm also still disappointed they didn't just update their Habicht 8x30 porro with modern eyepieces. I would have bought one straightaway.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back