• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new TSN-883 neoprene case (1 Viewer)

Borjam

Spain
I purchased a TSN-883 this week. I chose the limited "anniversary edition" not so much because of the exclusivity thing (although I find the black body much more beautiful) but because I thought the neoprene case was a good idea :)

However, it has a design flaw. It's really tight, which makes it almost impossible to operate the lens hood. It's rubbery finish really sticks to the neoprene case.

Finally I have ordered the old style cordura case. It's not so sexy but it's much more convenient to operate.

Wonder whether a shot of silicone spray around the hood would ease the problem.
Alternatively, maybe just cut the case by the hood. That way the hood and that part of the case could slide out without removing the remainder of the case.
While that is drastic, it does not compromise the main function of the case, which is to attenuate shocks.

I think if you put some sort of form ( una horma) and stretch that SOC around, it will end working well.. That material ends stretching with time. Now that we all need some exercise, a couple of workout sessions with it, will sure get the job done..

neoprene case

I purchased a TSN-883 this week. I chose the limited "anniversary edition" not so much because of the exclusivity thing (although I find the black body much more beautiful) but because I thought the neoprene case was a good idea :)

However, it has a design flaw. It's really tight, which makes it almost impossible to operate the lens hood. It's rubbery finish really sticks to the neoprene case.

Finally I have ordered the old style cordura case. It's not so sexy but it's much more convenient to operate.

I too have gone out and bought the cheaper old style cordura case these black ones may look good to some people but I think they are awful things.

Hi,
I am new to this forum (not as a reader, though) and I have a Kowa 883 as well with the neoprene case (I wanted that specifically). Yes, it is tight. However, there is an easy workauround for the "hood movement": Just open the button beneath and pull the hood - slowly - out (see picture). Afterwards, push the hood in, close the button. It works for me.
Kind regards,
WRL

Attachments

• TSN-883_Hood.jpg
    TSN-883_Hood.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 191
Well 1 mans meat is anothers poison but the price of the neoprene case is ridiculous and the normal case is much cheaper and no hassell at all. If I was younger I would not even hang onto this case but thinking about who inherits dissuades me from parting with it but I cannot see me ever using it because to me its very poorly designed and impractical.
The scopes low light capabilities are amazing I will soon upload some photos to try and demonstrate this but want to wait until I can put up some comparison shots from a ts n3 I was lucky enough to pick up recently it does not have the field of view but seems amazing for a scope this old I just have to wait for an adapter to arrive.

Last edited:
In my case the neoprene case was bundled, as I got the black special edition.

At the end I got the cordura case separately, which is often bundled with the regular version at least in Spain. For expensive cases look at Swarovski :) I considered the ATX system when purchasing the Kowa, but the price of the protective cases made it insane.

Last edited:
Bumping this to see if anyone has additional thoughts? I bought an 883 in the B&H flash sale last month but I need a case since handling the bare metal makes me nervous.

I really dislike bulky scope cases with flaps and stuff flopping around everywhere. I want something to protect the scope and make it a bit less nerve wracking to handle taking it on/off the tripod and in/out of the trunk.... but don’t want too much excess bulk to the point where it’s cumbersome.

Any fans of the newer neoprene case who think it’s worth the extra? Or is the older cordura fitted case the way to go still? How well fitted is the old one?

Bumping this to see if anyone has additional thoughts? I bought an 883 in the B&H flash sale last month but I need a case since handling the bare metal makes me nervous.

I really dislike bulky scope cases with flaps and stuff flopping around everywhere. I want something to protect the scope and make it a bit less nerve wracking to handle taking it on/off the tripod and in/out of the trunk.... but don’t want too much excess bulk to the point where it’s cumbersome.

Any fans of the newer neoprene case who think it’s worth the extra? Or is the older cordura fitted case the way to go still? How well fitted is the old one?
I’ve got the Kowa 883 and cordura case. To be brutally honest there’s nothing I like about the case other than it’s green and provides some protection for the scope. The neoprene one appears better in many ways but doesn’t appear to have any protection for the focusing wheels which seems bizarre.

I have the traditional cordura case for my Kowa. I considered to buy the neoprene one but the reason I didn't was the lack of protection for the focusing knobs. I can't understand why it is not protected as for example it is done with Leica Televid 82, as it is included in the eyepiece cover, which extends over the focusing knobs.

I would think that neoprene cover would otherwise be better material and would protect the scope more than the (maybe too thin?) cordura one. Again I will give a praise to Leica Televid here as a quite perfect scope case. Only drawback would be the same as mentioned above: it's a bit tight and lens hood is difficult to pull out.

So in summary: I will stick with the cordura case with my Kowa. I remember seen some post suggesting to add foam or like material between the case and scope body for more protection. Otherwise I think the cordura case is quite practical and works fine.

Juhani

A case costing nearly £200 needs what ?????.......
A total re - design and quite how Kowa got away with this peice of tatt is beyond my comprehension but it LOOKS good for a peice of tatt.

I have an 883 on the way. I ordered the "padded" $70 case. My plan is to use it to store and transport the scope. My plan is to use the scope bare on the tripod. We'll see. I'm not big on having flaps and such on a scope while I am using it. Too much to futz around with.

This is the padded case I'm getting - not looking for a stay on case. Plan to use scope bare. But, I think this case might actually stay on in use in a rudimentary kind of way. That case huberboreus linked to looks nice too. Maybe nicer?

Update: I ended up with the Marsupial padded case. This is an excellent case (not a stay on case). Highly recdommended. Fits the 883 with zoom eye piece and tripod plate fixed to the foot. Fits like a glove actually and it is really very nicely made.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back