• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The one(s) that got away (1 Viewer)

With time and patience I've been lucky enough to get most binoculars that intrigued me. Recently it's been the case with the 7x42 Trinovid BA and the 7x36 Zen-Ray ED2, and before that I was able to get the 7x42 Dialyt TP or the 7x50 Foresta. As they say, sometimes "it's not a good idea to meet your heroes".

In my case, oddly as it might sound, I find more and more my interest lies in binoculars that were not that expensive or rare back in the day, but that are hard to come by nowadays. A silly example, Bushnell Excursion 7x36. Yes, I know, I know, on a different galaxy compared to most of what's been described above, quite pedestrian, but I've been looking for one for quite a while to no avail. I've also been looking for a reasonably priced 10x50 BA/BN, but that seems to be an imposible proposition, unlike its 8x32/8x42 even 7x42 siblings, that can sometimes be found for reasonable amounts of money. I've been tempted to get a 8x32 Nikon HGL, and I've come across nice deals a couple of times... but the fear of the weight has kept me from doing it.

Yes, I've seen that, thank. But that's exactly what I meant. 1500 $ + 60 $ shipping from Japan + import fees and we might be looking something in the region of 1750 $, which is way above what I was considering. I guess for that money I can find a pretty good 10x50, whic is exactly what I meant.

The Swaro SLC HD 42 were beset with focuser issues.
Did the original version have these to begin with? Thought they somehow arose in the downgrade.
As they say, sometimes "it's not a good idea to meet your heroes".
Especially if they command high prices now... thanks, that's a very useful thought. In the not so distant past I would have had one or two others in mind, like 7x42 FL or the final 15x60 BGAT, that I've since thought better of. (Obviously the list would be far longer for an actual collector.)

Last edited:
Yes, I've seen that, thank. But that's exactly what I meant. 1500 $ + 60 $ shipping from Japan + import fees and we might be looking something in the region of 1750 $, which is way above what I was considering. I guess for that money I can find a pretty good 10x50, whic is exactly what I meant.
We don't have any import fees in the US.

When living in a EU country and buying from another EU country, there are no customs or import fees, but when buying from other countries we have to add VAT and other import taxes. For example, Brexit has had an unexpected side effect for birdwatchers on the EU: because the UK is such a first order power when it comes to birdwatching, its second hand market is just massive. You can find great deals. Over the years I've bought everything from field guides and bird related books (BWP, Svensson, etc.) to many binoculars (my ELSV, ATSHD and many other binos where bought there). Unfortunately now that's mostly over, because import taxes make many of those deals not worth it anymore. And the same applies to goods bought in the US, Japan, etc. I'm quite surprised it doesn't work the same the other way round. For example, if EU residents have to pay import taxes for products bought in the US, I find it puzzling that US nationals don't pay taxes when buying goods from the EU (or elsewhere for that matter).
This is the reason many good deals that show up on your side of the pond are not interesting anymore once you add shipping and import taxes.

This is a good thread Tenex, and some of the mentioned glass are similar to the ones I have looked for. For me it was a mint Zeiss Jena 8X50 Spezial. One other I could have procured, but the $$$ figure was always too high, the Nikon WX 10X50. The one that blows me away is the 8X60 that Gary procured, truly a great rare find.

Andy W.

The WX tops my list. Meanwhile, back on planet earth, I wouldn't mind checking out a set of Fujinon 14x40 TSX. (I think I've convinced my neighbor to buy a pair, which he said he'd loan to me for a day or so. I lent him binoculars for his Maui vacation).

I'm no d***o (thank goodness), but having read through this thread, I seem to have had the good fortune to have tried out a fair number of those that got away from others.

10x50 Ultravid HD+ - tried this, admittedly briefly, at Birdfair a couple years back. A good view and nicely packaged but very definitely, to me, second best to the 10x56 SLC and 10x50 SV. Tenex I don't think you need regret not having one given what you've already got.

7x42 Dialyt, P model - excellent image even by today's standards, solidly built (though many out there have been quite heavily used and may need an overhaul) and points very well in my hands, but focus speed slower than a lot of folks like these days. If 7x mag works for your circumstances it's very worth having, although the other quality 7x42s seem to be extremely good.

NB. with reference to the incident mentioned by Jonno - Mr Kay should have chained and padlocked that binocular to the tripod - I fear all too many folks might indeed be quite happy looking through the fruits of their light-fingered endeavours. It's folks like that that Sharia punishments (removal of said fingers, etc) were designed for...

8x32 FL - you won't like this Eitan, but... it's really, really good. Ticks virtually every box, as you said - very bright, very sharp, and light thanks to the plastic body. Focus (which is excellent, positive and nearly perfectly weighted) is on the fast side, actually a bit faster than I'd prefer, and I sometimes have to remind myself to make only very slight nudges when on a far distant target, but works really well closer in when big adjustments are needed. Eye placement I find can be quite exacting for long distance viewing, but no trouble at more typical birding distances. Not as tiny as the Ultravid, but smaller than the Swarovision, I can see why it was the last of the FLs to be replaced and why its replacement needed to offer something really exceptional. A superb example of the modern birding 8x32.

10x42 HT - superbly bright and sharp, like an even better FL (which are still extremely good in their own right). I must say I preferred the wider field of view of the SF which on that day it was stood next to and which I was able to go back and forth between, but can absolutely see why one might prefer the HTs. They're probably the last Abbe-Koening binoculars Zeiss will ever make - some would say they're worth owning for that reason alone...

I would love to look through an 8x60 U-boat (and well done to garymh for sweeping up his one!), but have no desire to own one (not for birding anyway). Just the thought of hefting that thing (2.5kg?) makes my joints ache. Ditto the 6x42 SARD, 10x80 Flakglas and so on ... would love to look through them, even just handle them, but wouldn't wish to own one (certainly not at current asking prices anyway).

Oof, I knew it. Not as tiny as the Ultravid is a good thing to boot, I find the UV slightly too small, but I like the hand feel of short chunky binoculars like the Trinovid BN or Meostar 32’s.

I also love big focus wheels with smooth action, and I am sensitive to CA, and I like a wide FOV with slightly curved field and a large sweet spot with gradual edge falloff....

Many months back, near the beginning of the pandemic, there were several 8x32 FL’s that I passed on which in retrospect were great deals. I figured at some point I’d find one for under $1K like you can sometimes with UVHD models. Little did I know the used market value of the 8x32 (and 7x42) would go up, not down! There was a mint 8x32 on Sample List for like $1299 that languished for months, if that appeared now I’d snag it up!

Tenex,

If you can, try the 10X50 UVHD+, it is the best all all rounder IMO and it is to me the best against outside lights/glare along with the FL. I have most of the premium 10X50/56s, with the exception of the HT10X54 and the WX 10X50.

Andy W,

I´ve noticed that the advertised Trinovid 10x50 carries what seems an insert for a tripod adapter on the central screw of the hinge.
I thought there wasn´t any for Leicas.
Does anyone know which adapter fits in the Trinovid/Ultravid screws?
Thanks

Does anyone know which adapter fits in the Trinovid/Ultravid screws?
None as far as I know. Swaro has adapters like the one in the photo, and such fittings are also made by outfits like Outdoorsman, but I think installation on a Leica would require permanent modification. And on a 50-56mm bino, the pin would interfere with how I like to hold/carry it.

Tenex I don't think you need regret not having one given what you've already got.
You're right, and I don't really. I'm just sorry I never got a chance to try a 10x50 UV, that stores don't carry complete lines for comparison. (I could have mail ordered, but prefer to avoid likely returns.) I was a total Leica fan before being seduced by the SLC 56.

... As to SLC 42s, I've come to realize that I don't so much miss the departed 42 as the 32mm SLC HD Swaro never made, offering the CL instead. I never understood that decision; as time goes by it seems ever more people want 32mm bins. Yet there are only three alpha offerings now, two of which are oversized designs (also open-bridge which I dislike), leaving Leica's UV as the only normally compact option.

Last edited:
The Nikon WX 10x50. B&H Photo had it on closeout at one point ($4000 IIRC). I was sorely tempted but in the process of selling my house and it was not prudent to make such a large outlay. Oh well...

I think, for me, only one bin really got away, the Miyauchi Binon 5x32. Others I forgot, but that one still intrigues me.

--AP

My fondest love. Mine were stolen during a nights star gazing at an organised event. Was absolutely devastated and it is the reason I gave (organised) astronomy a wide berth ever since. It is also why I never take honesty of fellow hobbyists for granted.

My fondest love. Mine were stolen during a nights star gazing at an organised event. Was absolutely devastated and it is the reason I gave (organised) astronomy a wide berth ever since. It is also why I never take honesty of fellow hobbyists for granted.
Oh, no! That is appalling.
I wonder how anyone could sleep (let alone use those binoculars) after such a felony. My only hope is that (trying to restore your faith in stargazers/birders/humanity) it could have been someone from outside of the astro community who just knew there were very valuable items to be found there (and sold elsewhere). But that is really a depressing situation. All my sympathy.

* Swaro SLC HD 42, original model. It wasn't available for long, and just not on my radar at the time as I'm not always in seeking mode. Its closer focus would have made it more appealing to me than its successor.
Was just reminded of this thread, and can note with pleasure that I found one last year. It's now my daily bin. Sometimes these things work out. Anyone else?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back