• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The one that got away....... (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
Any of you see a binocular you were interested in and waited TOO long and BAM....SOLD. I've got a couple that haunt me to this DAY! B :) These two haunt me about equally....losing sleep countless nights...

ONE was a Zeiss 56mm FL. I saw them EVERYWHERE for a WHiLE! Both 8X and 10X. All prices too. Several in the $1600-$1800 range which is actually a good price for them. I kept thinking they would come down a little more and then like POOF! No more. I never see them anymore for any price.

NEXT....A Leica Ultravid 7X42....GREEN!! OMG it was the most beautiful binocular I've ever seen. GORGEOUS! I was like "but I all ready HAVE an UVHD+ 7X42!" The fellow was giving it away. Starting out at $999...then $899....then $799!:eek!: AS NEW. I went to "buy it now" and the sucker was GONE!

These two HURT let me tell YOU! :smoke:

Y'all got any that REALLY hurt?

Yes, Takahashi fluoride apochromat astronomy binoculars. I hope Nikon doesn’t discontinue the WX 7x50 before I have saved up for them.

Yes, Takahashi fluoride apochromat astronomy binoculars. I hope Nikon doesn’t discontinue the WX 7x50 before I have saved up for them.

In the distant past I remember lusting over the Tak Astronomer in an Astronomic add for $1200,
then it was gone-forever.
Now I could get one, used, for twice the price.

I remember a wise old man once telling me
"the time to sell is when you have a buyer"
I guess the opposite is also true
The time to buy is when you have a seller.

edj

Last edited:
8.5x42 Swarovision (pre- Field Pro)... Sold for $1100ish and I just couldn't justify pulling the plug, despite me always kind of wanting one.

The one I sold but didn't want to sell was the 8.5x44 Kowa Genesis... always going to regret that unless I find one pop up for a similar price...

One which has eluded me is a mint 12X50 SE, which I would likely use strictly for viewing the night sky on a Tripod. Perhaps to the Meopta HD 12X50 could be a good alternative.

Chuck, I finally found the 8X56 FL after a couple of years searching- new in box, a rare find and a lucky one at that. I will use it to replace one of my of my CJZ Octarem 8X50s. The FL 8X56 is a great glass to view the stars at anytime from dusk to dawn.

I have never seen a 10X56 FL since 2013, not one.

Andy W.

I've long wondered how the Zeiss 15x60 BGAT* improved on my GAT* from c.1988, but by the time I realized they existed they were gone. I haven't even looked lately at what collectors want for them now, if you can find one.

By the way Andy, if you're willing to use a tripod I'd really recommend 15x. (I've seen the SLC, it's fantastic...)

Tenex,

As you suggested that is more likely the way I am looking to go - >X. I always liked the SE 12X50 as it is light and fairly robust with the armor, and hey, it wouldn't be in the rain under the night sky.
But something such as the SLC or near equivalent in 15X route for a binocular that is light with a nice tripod makes better sense for astro. If I do it right, it is the perfect grab and go for astronomy. Now if Swarovski could offer these with angled eyepieces, that would be a great option, or perhaps a 20X with 80MM objective. No, wait....I don't even want to think what that would cost.
Enjoying the stars on this Friday night, crisp and cool.

Andy W.

The two that I never seem to forget about:

1) Swarovski EL 8.5x42 when they first came out, new (brick and mortar) for $1250-$1300.

2) Second hand excellent condition Leica 7x42 UV (UVHD had been out for a couple of years) for $799. I was away hunting for the week when the action ended. Figured it would be available when I got back home. WRONG!!!

CG

Zeiss 15x60 BGAT - late run - I had one in my hands for a trial but it had the slightest impression of moisture penetration on an interior of one objective. Should have taken it as it was offered for CAD $1500 and now they are nearly double that....sigh.

In the distant past I remember lusting over the Tak Astronomer in an Astronomic add for $1200,
then it was gone-forever.
Now I could get one, used, for twice the price.

I remember a wise old man once telling me
"the time to sell is when you have a buyer"
I guess the opposite is also true
The time to buy is when you have a seller.

edj

Takahashi 22x60 for me as well. Why I didn't buy it is still a mystery. Takahashi makes, pretty much, the best optics available and these were but a mere $1200. for married 60mm apochromatic telescopes.

Last edited:
Y'all got any that REALLY hurt?

Not anymore Chuck, but yes, back when there were still some Audubon 8.5x44's still circulating, especially the 804 HR5 ED I was watching. The price was way more than I wanted to spend (and had spent on any bins then), about $400, I think. They were said to be as new, and I kept going back and forth over them, until they were gone. I was a little relieved, yet still disappointed!

I'm over them now, as I've learned my lesson well from that, and other times too with different things like this. That's why I jumped on a nice Zeiss 7x42FL recently when they came up on my radar! Right after that, I got my Meopta 7x42 too-another one I didn't want getting away. I just figured, it might be now or never! Now is better.

Last edited:
Edwin,
Good question

How much better are they?
I guess some buy the latest for different reasons.

The fad of the latest and greatest, for a 2% increase in light transmission, it is obvious that some, not all new glass is a new design, like the SF, but others such as HD to HD +, not so much. I use all my glass but some represent part of a collection of special historical significance (TO ME) design and construction, which will not be around again. Will Nikon build a solid Glass like the EDG with metal throughout again? The Zeiss FL is constructed with a composite material,and to me still perform very well, and will last forever.

Andy W.

If the old ones were so good, why do we keep trading them in for the newer, "better" more perfect optics now available?

edj

Do we need a 400 HP car to commute to work?
Are a tenth of the electronic doo-dads that car makers include necessary?
Using the power and all the features of that $1000 Smart Phone, are you?
How can you watch TV w/o 4K, even though missing content and screen size?

It's a good thing that so many people have such rich fantasy lives where that car gets them to romantic places like being on a magic carpet. Where they can command the world from their cell phone. Where having $3k binoculars allows seeing things mere mortals cannot and their experience is so much richer for it.

Clearly I could go on. Marketing, to churn sales. I try to keep off that crazy train.

Last edited:
I know the feeling.
Twice while on vacation in recent years I've come across ads for WWII SARD 6x42 (long on my must-have list, and they don't seem to come up here in San Diego). Both times, I've been faced with driving two hours that would essentially put a half-day hole in our vacation plans. Were either set mint, I would have gone, but not on a "maybe" where the owner doesn't know a chipped prism from a neckstrap.

Nope. No individual bin holds the power of urban legend or possesses the myth of 'the one' that got away unto me. No ghosts of bins that might have been haunt me.

I'm of the believers that 1K & under bins can be had that are 95% of alphas.

You win a few/lose a few, yet in the end I still own too many bins. 'ell I quit looking, I'm good.

Nope. No individual bin holds the power of urban legend or possesses the myth of 'the one' that got away unto me. No ghosts of bins that might have been haunt me.

I'm of the believers that 1K & under bins can be had that are 95% of alphas.

You win a few/lose a few, yet in the end I still own too many bins. 'ell I quit looking, I'm good.

Most binoculars are good enough for most of us
a statement many of us, and dealers, deny

edj

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back