• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The ones that got away... (1 Viewer)

Pete Mella

Getting there...
I know there's two weeks left in the year, but what birds are missing off your 2009 list that you were convinced were going to end up there? I don't really mean dips of rarities, more commoner birds you presumed were going to end up there that didn't end up being found.

For me - grasshopper warbler, goshawk, short-eared owl and crossbill (but still holding out for the last two...).

I was rather surprised that I didn't encounter a single Chestnut-backed Chickadee or Pacific Wren during my time on the Seward Peninsula. A bigger surprise was the complete failure to see even a single bear during my two weeks in Alaska...ouch

I know there's two weeks left in the year, but what birds are missing off your 2009 list that you were convinced were going to end up there? I don't really mean dips of rarities, more commoner birds you presumed were going to end up there that didn't end up being found.

For me - grasshopper warbler, goshawk, short-eared owl and crossbill (but still holding out for the last two...).

Several species, but most annoying was the SEO on my patch in April that I missed out on.

I have'nt seen Little Stint this year thats unusual for me.Just caught up with GN Diver and BT Diver i usually see those at the start of the year.

Thus far I've missed out on Woodcock and Great Northern Diver, which I thought I would have seen this year by now. Still have a little longer to see if I can see the species, but I think Woodcock is likely to avoid me. I've also definitely, and annoyingly, missed out on Sooty Shearwater, which I thought I'd see earlier in the year but failed to.

Regards,

Joseph

I missed the first 7 months of the year (Thailand) so there are some glaring omissions, including many of the summer migrants!

birds that I can still get without too much hassle are: Treecreeper, Goldeneye, Goosander, Water Rail, Dipper, Willow Tit, Red Grouse etc.

I have the sites, but they're all home in Shropshire!

Somehow I have absolutely no rails on my year list- not even Sora! (well, no North American rails- did see Gray-necked Wood-Rail in Costa Rica).

Still hoping for American Tree Sparrow and Lapland Longspur soon. Also sad to have missed Bobolink during spring migration- there is still hope for the other species I missed, but not that one!

longspurs

I went there an extra hour early and drove the back roads
no longspurs
had to leave for shopping, bah!, early
half an hour later they found them

would you believe Grey Partridge? I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Little Auk, with the prospect of Arctic weather coming.

I missed Black and Little terns earlier in the year. I still need Red Grouse and Long Tailed Duck but I managed to get my biggest blocker today, Long Eared Owl.

OMG I can't believe I'm about to admit the glaring and embarrassing omissions from my 2009 List!

Every year I make out an alphabetical list at the back of my diary of my Life List and fill in the dates as and when I see the birds (see below for what I mean...as you can see I don't use the account pages for what they are meant for! :-O).

This year's misses so far include.....

Arctic Skua
Black-necked Grebe
Brent Goose
Common Redpoll
Common Tern :eek!:
Cuckoo
Goldcrest :eek!::eek!::eek!:
Great Crested Grebe
Great Skua
Green Woodpecker *heard in May*
Knot
Nightjar
Pied Flycatcher
Puffin *HOW!!!!! I LIVE ON THE COAST!!!!!* :eek!:
Red Kite
Ruddy Duck
Ruff
Shot-eared Owl
Smew :smoke:
Snow Bunting :eek!:
Twite :eek!: *flock of umpteen hundred at Druridge Bay right now!*
Water Rail
Willow Tit
Wood warbler
Yellow Wagtail

I 'should' catch up with a few of these before the year is out as I have a few days off over Christmas and hubby works nightshift so I take myself off out birding during daylight hours....but I still cannot believe I managed to miss Puffin of all things when we have THOUSANDS breeding on the Farnes and Coquet Island just off the coast here!!!
Come January 1st I'll be making sure I catch ALL the winter birds I can instead of just taking a more laidback view that I'll get them later in the year when they return....it doesn't work!!!! :-O

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 75
In the UK, a lack of visits to the coast (and possibly not paying attention when I did) mean no Sanderling, Brent Goose and Knot: quite sad for someone living in Essex! Grey Partridge, Whinchat and Black Tern are also pretty bad misses. I saw four out of these six in the Netherlands – seeing Sanderling should be easy, but searching Grey Partridge has failed thusfar.

Mealy Redpoll and Rough-legged Buzzard are the 'easiest' I still need... both tricky though. Hopefully the regular Sheppey buzzard will be about if I search next weekend, and then I'll scour the Norfolk Broads for redpolls over Christmas!

As for things I would've expected but won't get now... Dotterel!

Hi
The obvious for me are Alpine accentor, Rock sparrow and Common Crane, the 3 species are easy to find in Portugal but only if you have the time to search in the right places and i run out of time for them, still possible are penduline tit, Jack Snipe, Hen Harrier and maybe Bulfinch.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back