• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Orkneys (1 Viewer)

Mike Tom

Apologies that I am quite sure on these and hopefully I am right, but confirmation improves my confidence and will mean less postings in the future. A curlew rather than a whimbrel by longish curved bill, not bent, and no obvious eye stripe. A flock of eider duck. A swallow by its black patch below its face, which I think is a clear marker, and the rock pipit, best shot I have got of this bird, as 99/100 pipits seem to be meadow, but clear dark markings are obvious. Coming to the end of my posts soon so thank you for any help.

Attachments

• DSCF0737.jpg
    DSCF0737.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0896.jpg
    DSCF0896.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF0765.jpg
    DSCF0765.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF0785.jpg
    DSCF0785.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 97
Yes to Rock Pipit, Curlew and Swallow

The ducks I'd say are Common Scoter - the density of the flock is the best feature here as they are so distant it's not easy to make out details. Eiders tend to feed in more scattered flocks. There's also one (red arrow, below) which I think is probably a Velvet Scoter - note the white bar on the wing. Too distant to be 100% sure though.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 101
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back