• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Parrot Who Owns Me (1 Viewer)

Beverlybaynes

Mod Squad
A recent post on another forum about owning birds brought this book to mind. I purchased and read it a year ago, and am re-reading it, and enjoying it just as much as the first time.

THE PARROT WHO OWNS ME by Joanna Burger. Burger is a scientist at Rutgers University in New Jersey, and she became the third owner of an Amazon Parrot named Tiko. Tiko originally lived with two elderly ladies, then after their deaths, went to live with their niece. After an unsuccessful spell with the niece, Tiko ended up with Burger and her husband, both biologists.

The story of their adaptation to each other is fascinating. Burger probably learns more from Tiko, than Tiko does from her. He ends up bonding with Burger more than her husband (although they're friends as well), to the point that he courts her, even building nests in the furniture.

It's most interesting to read how living with Tiko has spurred Burger into different areas of research about bird and wildlife behavior.

She also tells stories about other bird encounters and companions she has had -- imagine living in your office and your bird flying the office hallways after hours!

It's fascinating, informative and entertaining. I'm sure you'd enjoy reading it.

So, I'm off to get in a couple more chapters before tonight's concert!

It sounds like a really interesting book. I remember the post from the other forum...have to drop back in there to see what he decided.

I'm going to add this one to my list. Reading is another one of my favorite things to do....too bad I have to work and clean house and stuff like that....sigh....

Have either of you ladies reead 'King Solomon's Ring' by Konrad Lorenz ? In it he relates the interactions between humans and various species, including the time he was careless enough to be adopted as 'Mum' by a gaggle of young Greylag Geese. Well worth putting off the housework for. Mind you, as a male living alone, I can proudly say my housework gets done regularly - once a month, whether it needs it or not.

Tony

PS just in case housework is deemed off-topic - I do use a feather duster.

Last edited:
Only once a month Tony? Remind me to book in to a posh hotel whenever we have a meet near your house!

He's at it again, everyone. I wish to complain about harrassment - first me pomes, now me home ! Where will it all end ? I merely meant to imply that I live in such a careful, tidy and clean way that a flick with the feather duster once a month is all I need to do to keep the place pristine and spotless. Anyway, there aren't any posh hotels near me - the last one is in the process of falling over the cliff.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back