• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The tricky job of searching for tripods (1 Viewer)

I'm largely satisfied with my tripods now, but some years ago I was in "search mode", and soon spotted that many tripods didn't survive being "demo'd" at an exhibition or in a camera shop. I wasn't checking out Gitzo price tripods but more at the Manfrotto end of the spectrum. I frequently found clamps that no longer worked, and worse still, no one on the exhibitor's stand had a clue as to how they could be fixed. In the end, after I found a really lightweight carbon fibre Manfrotto tripod, (i.e. 732CY tripod & MH293A3-RC1 head, new in packaging), and I bought that and was impressed by how well it did what I wanted. Being lightweight I limit its use to a 20x telescope. In my usage, it's been reliable over several years, and encouraged me to buy a used 190CXPRO3, and that has also served me well (apart from the head becoming stuck, as reported here a few days ago). I mainly use that for video or to support a much larger birding telescope.

I also have and use a Benbo One with a gimbal and Canon big white, when portability isn't important, but sheer ruggedness is. The weight of the Benbo One necessitates use of a trolley.
For flexible positioning, I have a UniLoc System tripod, and that can get places others can't.

Best bet is to find a store to try them out. I’m usually unhappy with the plate that attaches to the scope. The Manfrotto one has not fallen apart yet, but I have two just in case, plates.

I'm largely satisfied with my tripods now, but some years ago I was in "search mode", and soon spotted that many tripods didn't survive being "demo'd" at an exhibition or in a camera shop. I wasn't checking out Gitzo price tripods but more at the Manfrotto end of the spectrum. I frequently found clamps that no longer worked, and worse still, no one on the exhibitor's stand had a clue as to how they could be fixed. In the end, after I found a really lightweight carbon fibre Manfrotto tripod, (i.e. 732CY tripod & MH293A3-RC1 head, new in packaging), and I bought that and was impressed by how well it did what I wanted. Being lightweight I limit its use to a 20x telescope. In my usage, it's been reliable over several years, and encouraged me to buy a used 190CXPRO3, and that has also served me well (apart from the head becoming stuck, as reported here a few days ago). I mainly use that for video or to support a much larger birding telescope.

I also have and use a Benbo One with a gimbal and Canon big white, when portability isn't important, but sheer ruggedness is. The weight of the Benbo One necessitates use of a trolley.
For flexible positioning, I have a UniLoc System tripod, and that can get places others can't.
Hi Malcolm, I am precisely in that exact moment you are describing, and now have to choose between the Manfrotto 732CY Carbon and the Benro TSL08CN00 Carbon legs for my Opticron 60mm scope (1kg / 2,2lb). I would be placing a Manfrotto light Be Free Live video head on both of them. On paper, I'd prefer the Manfrotto for the reputation of the brand , the flip lock system (instead of twist lock on the Benro), the fact that it would be easier to sell (because of the brand's reputation over Benro). But I am scared of the bottom leg of the 732CY being 5mm thick on the carbon version. What weight have you put on yours and were you happy with it ?
Choc59

Users who are viewing this thread

Back