• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The variable Hobby! (1 Viewer)

KenM

A month ago on a very dull grey afternoon, me and the missu's were just turning into our road (on a hill) after our requisite 10k steps when we heard the grating rasp of a Corvid!

Looking up I noted a Buzzard just ''creasing'' house roof, then appearing in the topmost corner of my eye above (where I momentarily strung a Hobby into a Parakeet :eek!:) about to dive bomb old Buteo!

Whilst frantically looking down trying to unzip my camera case (left it without a name!...whilst I tried to unzip the unzip-able), lest I missed the spectacle (Hobby only 20m away), my wife said it's hit the Buzzard!

Eventually fully extended ;) I just about managed a quick shutter burst (most of which were ultimately deleted due to the poor light and being out of focus), with the second stoop before they both disappeared over the roof.

I thought the images were very instructive and worth showing, as one might be forgiven for drawing comparison with House Martin minus white rump and forked tail.

Compared to how one normally sees Hobby (first image) these kinda underline just how jaw droppingly variable their geometry can be...when needs must.....enjoy.

Cheers

Attachments

• P2310712.jpeg     Hob.009.jpeg
    P2310712.jpeg Hob.009.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 96
  • P2300900.jpeg   Hobby no.2..jpeg
    P2300900.jpeg Hobby no.2..jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 84
  • P2300901.jpeg   Hobby plunge diving at Buzby..jpeg
    P2300901.jpeg Hobby plunge diving at Buzby..jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Mr_K

A month ago on a very dull grey afternoon, me and the missu's were just turning into our road (on a hill) after our requisite 10k steps when we heard the grating rasp of a Corvid!

Looking up I noted a Buzzard just ''creasing'' house roof, then appearing in the topmost corner of my eye above (where I momentarily strung a Hobby into a Parakeet :eek!:) about to dive bomb old Buteo!

Whilst frantically looking down trying to unzip my camera case (left it without a name!...whilst I tried to unzip the unzip-able), lest I missed the spectacle (Hobby only 20m away), my wife said it's hit the Buzzard!

Eventually fully extended ;) I just about managed a quick shutter burst (most of which were ultimately deleted due to the poor light and being out of focus), with the second stoop before they both disappeared over the roof.

I thought the images were very instructive and worth showing, as one might be forgiven for drawing comparison with House Martin minus white rump and forked tail.

Compared to how one normally sees Hobby (first image) these kinda underline just how jaw droppingly variable their geometry can be...when needs must.....enjoy.

Cheers

Good pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread