• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The WORST targets for photography (1 Viewer)

Many Flickr groups and I daresay other social media groups have a blanket ban on any bird photos on nests. I agree with that as most nests are hidden and would require some sort of trimming to expose it for those perfect photos.

I'm sure Glebb images his birds with every consideration for their wellbeing no worries there, fwiw of Farnboro John's Cuckoo shots I'm a touch envious.
That withstanding...under the thread title of ''Worst Birds'' I think some might agree that my five images would certainly fit that description.

These were all ''stalked'' with the sole intention of filling the frame on each occasion with absolutely no consideration for their respective wellbeing lest they fly away. :eek!:

Cheers

Attachments

• A three quarter Tawny Owl.jpg
    A three quarter Tawny Owl.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 29
  • FC. 1000 RET..jpg
    FC. 1000 RET..jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01206. Bdrm.window Goshawk 1..jpeg
    DSC01206. Bdrm.window Goshawk 1..jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Grdn.Hwfnch.side on.png
    Grdn.Hwfnch.side on.png
    282.1 KB · Views: 26
  • P2130423.jpeg    Def.LSW 02.jpg
    P2130423.jpeg Def.LSW 02.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hawfich on my balcony in Russia, Cuckoo on my patch in Russia, Merlin in Costa Rica.

Best opportunities are often when birds are away from breeding grounds or when they are feeding, there is usually no justification for being anywhere near a nest.

Attachments

• Hawfinch.jpg
    Hawfinch.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Common Cuckoo.jpg
    Common Cuckoo.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Merlin.jpg
    Merlin.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 18
I'm sure Glebb images his birds with every consideration for their wellbeing no worries there, fwiw of Farnboro John's Cuckoo shots I'm a touch envious.
That withstanding...under the thread title of ''Worst Birds'' I think some might agree that my five images would certainly fit that description.

These were all ''stalked'' with the sole intention of filling the frame on each occasion with absolutely no consideration for their respective wellbeing lest they fly away. :eek!:

Cheers

Well I'm very envious of that Tawny Owl! :eek!:

As it happens all my above photos of Colin were from the same year, but he's done four seasons now and it will be interesting to see if he makes it to a fifth. Fingers crossed for the boy! :t:

John

I know I’ve posted this one before but here’s my best effort of a Merlin. Luckily my little Canon SX60 was next to me on the passenger seat. Well... in the footwell following the birder’s emergency breaking procedureo:D

Attachments

• E067596F-8833-435D-A2DC-022BF031B575.jpeg
    E067596F-8833-435D-A2DC-022BF031B575.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 32
Well I'm very envious of that Tawny Owl! :eek!:

As it happens all my above photos of Colin were from the same year, but he's done four seasons now and it will be interesting to see if he makes it to a fifth. Fingers crossed for the boy! :t:

John

Let’s hope so! with continuity of species existence nowadays never to be taken for granted. Unfortunately the frequency of species diversity disappearing is very real and the older you are the greater the loss, on that happy note....:t:

I know I’ve posted this one before but here’s my best effort of a Merlin. Luckily my little Canon SX60 was next to me on the passenger seat. Well... in the footwell following the birder’s emergency breaking procedureo:D

A great shot Clark!...can Merlins exceed 30 mph? ;)

Assume it was taken in Wales and that the Policeman was an “Ev-a-a-ns” ;)

Lovely images! A tad bit jealous, actually... especally with those cuckoo images of Colin! Maybe you just found a cooperative individual. But golden orioles... I wonder if anyone thinks anything surpasses it.
In regards to LSW and hawfinch- I've heard they are elusive as well, too. Finding any of those birds will be impossible if they hide in a tree canopy.
That merlin image is excellent!

The worst birds to Photograph (continued)

3. Merlin

Female/immature Shetland X 2

4. Bittern

Minsmere Bittern hide

Blashford Lakes Ivy Lake

Lakenheath RSPB

John
Lovely images! Guess the birds I've seen so far have been very uncooperative...
Such a shame the golden orioles are gone from the UK...
Lost the orioles, got the cranes at Lakenheath... probably even better, given cranes are more showy.
Will try some good sites this summer- I love locating them for myself, cuckoos. In regards to merlin- hopefully I'll see some soon enough.
I wouldn't agree about the goshawks actually- or maybe it is just the Russians which are easy to observe, smashing through the forests like bullets, stooping like peregrines... had no difficulty seeing one in the main botanical garden. Will try my luck at hawfinch, firecrest, goshawk, LSW and tawny owl soon enough- maybe one will enrage me more than even an cuckoo?
Though am sure nothing can surpass an oriole...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back