• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

This moth looks just like a grass seed (1 Viewer)

InternetMan

I've next to no idea about this one. Momphid, maybe, or some funky Gelechiid? All I can say for certain is that in size, shape and colour it's a dead ringer for a grass seed.

seed-1.jpg seed-2.jpg seed-3.jpg seed-4.jpg

Supplementary question: Holly Tortrix? We have holly bushes/tree, but the wings don't look right at the back end. Some other Rhopobota sp? Not sure any are particularly likely in my suburban garden down here on the Sussex coast. After that I'm just randomly squinting at Sterling & Parsons to try to make something else be right. Any thoughts?

tortrix3.jpg tortrix2.jpg tortrix1.jpg

Thanks for your consideration.

EDIT: how about Celypha striana for 'number two'?

Last edited:
Thanks Rosaria -- though the palps put me off the Tortrixes (Tortrices?). ie curled up to point skywards and not much fluff on them.
(appreciate pics aren't the best)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back