• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thomas Stirr goes m4/3 (1 Viewer)

Stirr's articles were a major influence for me as a Nikon1 user. His 30 pieces on the EM1X are all worth reading. Quite impressive what he said about an EM1X shooting with swallows in flight:
The E-M1X is the best auto-focusing camera I have ever used to photograph swallows in-flight. After the first half-hour of my swallows-in-flight test I actually felt confident that I would get some usable images when I fired off an AF-C burst. I have never felt that way before with any other camera I’ve used in the past for this specific subject matter.

One thing we need to remember is he would still be Nikon CX if not for Nikon abandoning it, discussing this on a Nikon forum and i loved this reply that i will quote.

Oh, the horror! Someone using micro 4/3 when all these companies are making amazing full-frame cameras. It's like he wants to use the camera that best meets his needs despite the collective opinion of photo forum members all over the Internet.

The quote in post 2 is a bit of bomb under some of the statements we frequently see in the nikon forum ...

Niels

Stirr's articles were a major influence for me as a Nikon1 user. His 30 pieces on the EM1X are all worth reading. Quite impressive what he said about an EM1X shooting with swallows in flight:

As a birder, not a photographer, I must admit I thought his shots were excellent. To have him say these were routine captures is impressive.

That said, as a birder I cannot carry a big camera, even if it is a super performer. At most, I have a little Sony RX100 VI in my pocket, nice for record shots and scenery, but not in the same league otherwise. If ever I decided to switch to photography however, the EM1X would surely be high on my list.

The quote in post 2 is a bit of bomb under some of the statements we frequently see in the nikon forum ... Niels

A 2016 German autofocus test had the Nikon D810 on top with 72% of "bird" shots in focus, versus 56% for the Canon 7D ii. I'd love to see an update including the Nikon D500 and Olympus OM-D E-M1 ii.

Not that I'd take such a test too seriously. I'd estimate my V2 ranks slightly behind the D7200. At best it can give a vague idea how the camera handles raptors, gulls and terns. Whenever someone brags about a 95% BIF hit rate I know he isn't talking sparrows.

What I like with Mr Stirr's articles: he studies Pro-Capture or does these 80MP shots handheld, or shoots swallows at efov 420mm. In other words, he experiments with extreme features of the EM1X. - I am not going to buy this expensive camera now. Maybe in a few years when it costs a little less.

I still wonder how big is the difference between the 1x vs the 1-ii ? not that I have either but the second of these is more affordable (recent refurb around $1000).

Niels

I still wonder how big is the difference between the 1x vs the 1-ii ? not that I have either but the second of these is more affordable (recent refurb around $1000). Niels

According to "mirrorlesscomparison", testing both cameras with red kites in flight:
E-M1X keeper rate: 74% (perfectly sharp shots only), 91% (including slightly soft images)
E-M1 II keeper rate (firmware 3.0): 62% (sharp shots only), 80% (with slightly off images)
Once the "bird AI" module is ready for the E-M1X, the gap might increase.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back