• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts on current Leupold Binos (1 Viewer)

Potterevo

My Gold Ring binoculars are non-repairable so i have been given about 900 in credit toward a new pair but haven't really found a lot of information
on the current BX-5s.
Any recommendations on size, power, or model.
I wouldn't be afraid to add more to upgrade if it is worth it.
My last set never really strayed too far from the truck.

I had a Gold Ring 8x42 for several years. If I were to replace it with a current Leupold model, I'd go with the BX-5 Santiam. I'm pretty well set on binoculars, but have looked through sevral of them, and they seem pretty top notch. The downside is that for their price the 8x could have a somewhat wider fov. At this level I don't think there are any bad or unacceptable binoculars regardless of brand. What will decide one from another is how well the binocular fits your face and hands, its size and weight, the service and warranty, and your pereception of company history. Leupold has always had top flight service. Leupold is also pretty widely available in many retail stores, so it should be easy enough to find a BX-5 to look over. If you are near to a Sportsmans Warehouse, they typically have some. The BX-4 is supposedly a step down, but you would be hard pressed to tell from the image. The BX-4 is also a smaller binocular, size seemingly the only real stand out difference.

My Gold Ring binoculars are non-repairable so i have been given about 900 in credit toward a new pair but haven't really found a lot of information
on the current BX-5s.
Any recommendations on size, power, or model.
I wouldn't be afraid to add more to upgrade if it is worth it.
My last set never really strayed too far from the truck.

I own the 15x56 model of the Santiam BX-5 line, and this is what I wrote about it in another context:

“It is a heavy and sturdy upper middle class instrument made in Japan, heavier than most other current 15x56s, with excellent finish and mechanics, a good central sharpness and a moderately wide sweet spot, but only mediocre edge sharpness.
Attention to a proper placement of the eyes behind the eyepieces is necessary in order to prevent images with significant color fringes.
There is some uncertainty as to the real FOV of this binocular. Leupold itself and various optics stores state the RFOV to be 4.4 degrees on the one hand, but 70m on the other hand. However, 70m corresponds to 4.0 degrees, not 4.4.
To complicate things further, the inscription on the focus wheel reads neither 4.0 nor 4.4 degrees, but “4.5”, which corresponds to almost 79m linear FOV.“

My tentative rating of the Santiam 15x56 is attached.

If I had to translate the above into a statement how satisfied I am with the Santiam‘s performance overall, I would say „moderately“.

Attachments

• B8BB3DB5-764C-437E-B8EC-3DE7E0266B49.png
    B8BB3DB5-764C-437E-B8EC-3DE7E0266B49.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
My 8X32 Golden rings went into Leupold for repairs (two months ago), (Tubes would not focus simultaneously) They told me they were unrepairable, and the only thing I could receive as a replacement was a BX-4. I received a 8X42 BX-4 (with alpine camo). Not a bad glass, but it will be for sale as I have more than enough 8X42s.

Andy W.

Pottervo,

Not necessarily a downgrade as different, I was not a fan of the Golden rings brown exterior, eyecups and weight for a 8x32. However the field of view (FOV) of 8 degrees provided a nice view with good color rendition. The BX-4 is a nice glass, light, decent ergonomics, however the FOV of 7 degrees is on the low side (and not as immersive as my Nikon HG/LX, or Premier 8X42 which also has 7 degrees FOV). The BX-4 view has good resolution and has updated coatings as compared to the Golden Ring, and for $500 new is priced accordingly.
Put it this way, I think it is better than a Tract Toric 8X42 for the $$.

Andy W.

My 8X32 Golden rings went into Leupold for repairs (two months ago), (Tubes would not focus simultaneously) They told me they were unrepairable, and the only thing I could receive as a replacement was a BX-4. I received a 8X42 BX-4 (with alpine camo). Not a bad glass, but it will be for sale as I have more than enough 8X42s.

Andy W.
Does anyone have any data on the light transmission of the Bx-4? I have yet to see this anywhere but curious as to what it is.

The 8x32 BX-4 are a great bino. Made in Japan with very good optics and nice locking diopter on the center knob. Maybe not quite a gold ring in optics but much lighter!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back