• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts on Terra 8x32 for Kitchen to Yard/Feeder Viewing - 88 Yr Old (1 Viewer)

CJF

United States
Here’s the scenario:

Gift for 88 year old woman (My Mom)
No glasses for distance
90% viewing feeders and yard from kitchen window to backyard
10% taking on suburban/town walks

I was thinking the Terras at 8x32:
Lighter weight than 42s
8 magnification for better detail
Close focus
Wider POV (easier to get on bird than 42s)

Zeiss are more expensive than Vortex etc…but glass probably has a bit more light. Currently she uses a small folding pocket pair (mabye 6x) missing eyecup…anything will be better. Not too worried about the warranty as don’t expect too rough of handling.

Thanks in advance….

Here’s the scenario:

No glasses for distance

Lighter weight than 42s
Close focus

Zeiss are more expensive than Vortex etc…but glass probably has a bit more light. Currently she uses a small folding pocket pair (mabye 6x) missing eyecup…anything will be better. Not too worried about the warranty as don’t expect too rough of handling.

Thanks in advance….

Nice thought. I have the first generation 8x32. I'm not sure whether the second generation is the same with respect to the IPD adjustment but my sample is very stiff. You would have to work with her to get it properly adjusted but once that is done (again if it's like mine) it will not move.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Here’s the scenario:

No glasses for distance

Lighter weight than 42s
Close focus

Thanks in advance….

Yep. A seriously great bit of glass. She will love them.

It might depend on how big the yard is. I found 7x and 8x to be too powerful for my yard (smallish, with a lot of vegetation). I bought a pair of Opticon Traveler 6x32 and have been real happy with them for winter window-viewing for FeederWatch, etc.

Dan

I liked everything about the Terras... except how stiff the action was on the focus wheel. That kind of ruined the enjoyment, for me. Great glass, though.

An excellent alternative would be the Opticron Travellers in 8x32! Quite comparable, with a much nicer focuser.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Considering all input and will circle back with result.

You will probably want to also consider the new version of the Nikon Monarch 7 8x32, available very soon. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back