• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thraupidae (1 Viewer)

(These are just my guesses [I have no access to the paper], hence apologies if any of them is incorrect.)
  • Asemospiza - ἄσημος, unmarked + σπίζα, a finch (feminine)
  • Islerothraupis - Morton L. & Phyllis R. Isler (born 1929 & 1931) + θραυπίς, a small bird (feminine)
  • Maschalethraupis - μασχάλη, the arm-pit + θραυπίς, a small bird (feminine)
  • Chrysocorypha - χρυσός, gold + κορυφά/κορυφή, the crown (feminine)
  • Kleinothraupis - Nedra Kathryn Klein (1951–2001) + θραυπίς, a small bird (feminine)
  • Castanozoster - κάστανον, a chestnut + ζωστήρ, a belt or girdle (masculine)
  • Ephippiospingus - ἐφίππιος, a saddle + σπίγγος, a finch (masculine)
  • Chionodacryon - χιών, the snow + δάκρυον, a tear (neuter)
  • Pseudosaltator - pseudo-, false + Saltator Vieillot 1816 (the genus, = a dancer) (masculine)
  • Poecilostreptus - ποικίλος, variegated + στρεπτός, a collar of twisted or linked metal (masculine)
  • Stilpnia - στιλπνός, glittering + -ία, suffix forming feminine nouns from adjectives (feminine)
None seem preoccupied.

Penhallurick's enigmatic names Exospingus and Episkuniospingus are not mentioned here. Apparently they aren't in the game.

The groups said to require a new genus in Burns et al. 2014 were:
  1. Certhidea fusca
  2. Tiaris fuliginosa, T. obscurus
  3. Tachyphonus delatrii
  4. Tachyphonus surinamus
  5. Tachyphonus cristatus, T. rufiventer, T. luctuosus
  6. Poospiza hispaniolensis
  7. Poospiza rubecula
  8. Hemispingus reyi, H. atropileus, H. calophrys, H. parodii
  9. Poospiza thoracica
  10. Phrygilus erythronotus, Ph. dorsalis
  11. Saltator rufiventris
  12. Thraupis cyanocephala
In this order.
Note that this makes 12, while only 11 new names are proposed.
Burns et al. 2014 recommend not to move Sicalis citrina out of Sicalis, hence it's not at all clear that there should be a new genus for it in there. (Wouldn't Chrysocorypha fit Tachyphonus delatrii better...? Chionodacryon would fit Poospiza thoracica quite well too, by the way.)

Penhallurick's enigmatic names Exospingus and Episkuniospingus are not mentioned here. Apparently they aren't in the game.
Unfortunately, John's website does not make it possible to retrieve any information about generic names any more. It used to... :(

Tell me if I'm wrong

Asemospiza fusca
Islerothraupis fuliginosa , I. obscurus
Maschalethraupis or Chrysocorypha delatrii
M. or C. surinamus
Kleinothraupis cristata, C. rufiventer, C. luctuosus
Castanozoster rubecula, C. hispaniolensis sister species ?
Ephippiospingus reyi, E. atropileus, H. calophrys, H. parodii
Chionodacryon thoracica
Pseudosaltator rufiventris
Stilpnia cyanocephala
Poecilostreptus dorsalis , erythronotus

And resurrection of Delothraupis for D. castaneoventris ? Tif has been merge Delothraupis and ''Saltator'' rufiventris into Dubusia

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to seeing more details of this paper.

A few of the 'un-named' taxa being discussed may already have existing names:

'Tachyphonus' cristatus, 'T'. rufiventer, 'T'. luctuosus = Loriotus, Jarocki 1821
'Thraupis' cyanocephala = Sporathraupis, Ridgway, 1898
'Poospiza' thoracica = Paranospiza, Wolters, 1980

...although the last mentioned presumably belongs alongside Exospingus & Episkuniospingus...?

There are some divergent clades within this group that have not, so far, been mentioned, some or all of which may deserve a new generic allocation.

ant-tanagers (‘Habia’ fuscicauda, atrimaxillaris, gutturalis, cristata)
lined seedeaters (‘Sporophila’ lineola, bouvronides)
Blue-and-yellow Tanager ‘Thraupis’/’Pipraeidea’ bonariensis

...also divergence times within the saltators (s.s.) and the Thraupis/Tangara group are too great to justify lumping into a single genus (certainly in a system where Galapagos finches are multi-generic) and some of the subgroups are divergent and un-named. Further, the Scarlet-breasted Dacnis ‘Dacnis’ berlepschi is not convincingly placed in Dacnis and the Yellow-green Bush Tanager ‘Chlorospingus’ flavovirens is apparently a thraupid not a passerellid and seems unlikely to fall into any currently recognised genera.

Paranospiza is a Nomen nudum, no ?

There are two cyanocephala specific name :

The red necked tanager Tangara cyanocephala (Statius Müller, 1776) and the blue capped tanager Thraupis (Sporathraupis) cyanocephala (Orbigny & Lafresnaye, 1837).

'Tachyphonus' cristatus, 'T'. rufiventer, 'T'. luctuosus = Loriotus, Jarocki 1821
[OD] (on p.133 -- or image #71), as a subgenus of Tanagra, type species by original monotypy Tanagra cristata "GL." (which I understand means "Gmelin/Linnaeus") = Tanagra cristata Linn. 1766. [OD].
'Thraupis' cyanocephala = Sporathraupis, Ridgway, 1898
[OD], nomen novum pro Hemithraupis Ridgway, nec Cabanis.
Hemithraupis Ridgway 1898: [OD], type species by original designation Aglaia cyanocephala Lafresnaye & d'Orbigny 1837 [OD].
(Hemithraupis Cabanis 1850: [OD], type species by original designation Hylophilus ruficeps Wied 1831 [OD].)

These two, in any case, are certainly available, and apply indeed respectively to the Flame-crested and Blue-capped Tanagers.

Last edited:
Sorry Nomenclatorist, but I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Both species are included in the Burns et al (2014) study but it is the Blue-capped which is shown to belong outside its traditional genus (Thraupis).

Thanks Laurent for confirmation. I do hope that two of the newly proposed names are not for these taxa.

Last edited:
I have not read this last work yet . *cry*

However, the name Sporathraupis is available for the blue capped.

Someone has the full last article ?

I just read the Burns & al's work and poospiza hispaniolensis and P. rubecula are not sister taxa. They must be placed into 2 distinct genus.

Last edited:
"the name Sporathraupis is available for the blue capped."
http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/SACCprop569.htm .

Comments from Areta: “Since this proposal was written, a recent relevant paper by Barker et al. (2015) has appeared. Despite some important changes in the phylogenetic position of the involved taxa, the generic-level problems subject of this proposal still linger. ...I would recommend a YES to B1. Given the long branch and consistent isolation in both molecular works, in addition to distinctive morphology, Sporathraupis cyanocephala seems the way to go.
On the internet Loriotus, Jarocki 1821 often is added 'ex Cuv.' but not sure why.

Last edited:
There are 32 taxonomic recommendations:
1. Recognize a monospecific Rhopospina Cabanis, 1851 for Phrygilus fruticeti
2. Recognize Corydospiza Sundevall, 1872 for Phrygilus carbonarius d and P. alaudinus
3. Merge Saltatricula Burmeister, 1861 into Saltator Vieillot, 1816
4. Recognize Pyrrhulagra Bonaparte, 1850 for Loxigilla portoricensis, Melopyrrha nigra (Linnaeus, 1758), and Loxigilla violacea (Linnaeus, 1758)
5. Recognize a monospecific Phonipara Bonaparte, 1850 for Tiaris canorus
6. Merge Tiaris bicolor (Linnaeus, 1766) into Melanospiza Ridgway, 1897
7. Asemospiza, new genus - Asemospiza fuliginosa and A. obscura
8. Islerothraupis, new genus - Islerothraupis cristata, I. luctuosa and I. rufiventer
9. Maschalethraupis, new genus - Maschalethraupis surinamus
10. Chrysocorypha, new genus - Chrysocorypha delatrii
11. Poospizinae, new subfamily
12. Recognize Pseudospingus Berlepsch & Stolzmann, 1896 for Hemispingus xanthophthalmus and H. verticalis
13. Merge two species of Hemispingus [Hemispingus rufosuperciliaris and H. goeringi] and the two species of Compsospiza Berlepsch, 1893 into a more restricted Poospiza
14. Kleinothraupis, new genus - Kleinothraupis reyi, K. atropileus, K. calophrys and K. parodii
15. Recognize Sphenopsis Sclater, 1862 for Hemispingus melanotis and H. frontalis
16. Merge Pyrrhocoma Cabanis, 1851, and Hemispingus superciliaris Cabanis, 1851 into Thlypopsis Cabanis, 1851
17. Thlypopsis pyrrhocoma, new name
18. Recognize Poospizopsis Berlepsch, 1893 for Poospiza caesar and P. hypochondria
19. Castanozoster, new genus - Castanozoster thoracicus
20. Recognize Microspingus Taczanowski, 1874, for Hemispingus trifasciatus and merge Poospiza cabanisi, P. lateralis, P. erythrophrys, P. alticola, P. torquata, P. cinerea and P. melanoleuca into Microspingus
21. Merge Oreomanes Sclater, 1860, into Conirostrum d’Orbigny & Lafresnaye, 1838
22. Ephippiospingus, new genus - Ephippiospingus dorsalis and Ephippiospingus erythronotus
23. Chionodacryon, new genus - Chionodacryon speculiferum
24. Recognize Geospizopsis Bonaparte, 1856 for Phrygilus unicolor and P. plebejus
25. Recognize a monospecific Spodiornis Sclater, 1866 for Haplospiza rustica
26. Pseudosaltator, new genus - Pseudosaltator rufiventris
27. Recognize a monospecific Sporathraupis Ridgway, 1898 for Thraupis cyanocephala
28. Recognize a monospecific Tephrophilus Moore, 1934 for Buthraupis wetmorei
29. Recognize Ixothraupis Bonaparte, 1851 for Tangara punctata, T. varia, T. rufigula, T. xanthogastra, and T. guttata
30. Recognize a monospecific Chalcothraupis Bonaparte, 1851 for Tangara ruficervix
31. Poecilostreptus, new genus - Poecilostreptus palmeri and P. cabanisi
32. Stilpnia, new genus - Stilpnia larvata, S. nigrocincta, S. cyanicollis, S. preciosa, S. peruviana, S. meyerdeschauenseei, S. vitriolina, S. cucullata, S. cayana, S. cyanoptera, S. viridicollis, S. phillipsi, S. argyrofenges and S. heinei

Obs.: I ask a pdf copy directly to Dr Mason.

Burns et al. 2014 recommend not to move Sicalis citrina out of Sicalis, hence it's not at all clear that there should be a new genus for it in there.

Hmm, I had Pseudochloris in the back of my mind for this species. There must be an issue with that name.
Looking at Fig. 5 in Burns et al 2014 an alternative possibility would be to subsume 'Sicalis' citrina into Phrygilus but then that would also entail subsuming Melanodera, Rowettia & Nesospiza.

29. Recognize Ixothraupis Bonaparte, 1851 for Tangara punctata, T. varia, T. rufigula, T. xanthogastra, and T. guttata
30. Recognize a monospecific Chalcothraupis Bonaparte, 1851 for Tangara ruficervix
31. Poecilostreptus, new genus - Poecilostreptus palmeri and P. cabanisi
32. Stilpnia, new genus - Stilpnia larvata, S. nigrocincta, S. cyanicollis, S. preciosa, S. peruviana, S. meyerdeschauenseei, S. vitriolina, S. cucullata, S. cayana, S. cyanoptera, S. viridicollis, S. phillipsi, S. argyrofenges and S. heinei

Cool!! At last someone has begun to chip away at the monolithic Tangara/Thraupis conglomerate

Laurent told me that Pseudochloris can be applied for Sicalis citrina, so let's go !

But why create a new generic name for Diuca speculifera since speculifera is the type species of genus Diuca ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back