• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush - Anorí, Antioquia, Colombia (1 Viewer)

Speaking entirely personally, I would much much rather have your own thoughts and all available info at the time your present a photo for ID and guidance. Most people who will help you are quite able to be objective without feeling that they need to have relevant/useful information/opinions withheld from them in order to assure an independent view. It's a bit like being set a 'quizz'. Assuming that you do want more than simply to be told the bird's species, it is easier to give you targeted help and advice if you say at the outset what your own views/problems are.

Assuming this is a Turdus sp. thrush, the yellow leg / dark bill combination excludes a lot of possibilities. Perhaps this is an immature bird? Pale-eyed thrush or yellow-legged thrush? Maybe immature female pale-eyed?
Disclaimer: I have no experience with either species, my Colombian Turdus list stands at 2 species (one of which you can guess...).

Speaking entirely personally, I would much much rather have your own thoughts and all available info at the time your present a photo for ID and guidance. Most people who will help you are quite able to be objective without feeling that they need to have relevant/useful information/opinions withheld from them in order to assure an independent view. It's a bit like being set a 'quizz'. Assuming that you do want more than simply to be told the bird's species, it is easier to give you targeted help and advice if you say at the outset what your own views/problems are.
OK. I have a sound recording but I don't know if it from this bird. I also have the information about what birds are supposed to be at this site. Both of those might confuse the issue I think.

FWIW Tom I don't see anything wrong with your OP - you included information on location and altitude, supported with a clear photo, and suggested it was a thrush without including any other opinions which might lead to confirmation bias amongst responders. It wasn't as if it was a blurry / unusual photo of a common species, which would quite rightly belong in the quiz section.

OK, for no good reason I overlooked the female/Immature Pale-eyed Thrush as a possibility. Thanks, that must be what it is. The sound file question I had may be a totally different topic or just me not being good with sounds, but just because it was mentioned above here is that thread: https://www.xeno-canto.org/forum/topic/42273.
Agreed with female type Pale-eyed Thrush, they're not too uncommon (by voice) at that site. Yellow legs rule out other turdus like Black-billed, Pale-vented etc.

Other than site info, I try not to read the posters ID suggestions as many times, I have fallen prey to 'confirmation bias'.

I don't see any problem with that being Pale-eyed Thrush, and your recording sounds likely for that species, though it's been a few years since I've heard northern Andean Thrushes so someone like Avery would be better able to confirm / ID the Thrush in your recording.

Cheers.

I don't see any problem with that being Pale-eyed Thrush, and your recording sounds likely for that species, though it's been a few years since I've heard northern Andean Thrushes so someone like Avery would be better able to confirm / ID the Thrush in your recording.

Cheers.
The song doesn't sound right for Pale-eyed to my ear, they tend to be more tinkly and jump around between high- and lower-pitched phrases. I'm pretty rusty on my South American vocalizations these days having not been to Colombia for a couple years but after listening through the options on XC the lazy, up and down pattern does seem to fit Dagua Thrush (aka White-throated Thrush) best when compared with similar species like Pale-vented or even atypical Black-billed. I wouldn't be surprised if this species turned up at this site given that lots of other western/Magdalena "lowland" species are seasonal and/or occasional visitors and most birders visiting the reserve are probably not paying a lot of attention to Thrush songs as they focus on the target species.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back