• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush ID Long Island NY (1 Viewer)

mchristie

I found a dead thrush on my back deck; I think it hit a glass window. I'm not a serious birder but I like to identify the birds I see in the garden. We've never seen a thrush in the garden before, and when I looked up the possibilities I was unable to tell which kind of thrush it is. Can anyone identify it for me? As far as I can tell online it's probably a wood thrush or a hermit thrush, or just possibly a Swainson's thrush.

Location is on the north shore of Long Island, in Huntington, about two miles from the sea, in a fairly woody residential street.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Attachments

• Thrush1.jpeg
    Thrush1.jpeg
    679.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Thrush2.jpeg
    Thrush2.jpeg
    657.4 KB · Views: 37
Thank you! Looking at some pictures online I see that's what it is. For future reference, in case I see another one, what identifying marks should I look for?

Mike

As you can see in the second photo, the orange and black marks on an ovenbird's cap are not nearly as tidy and obvious as may appear in bird books, but that is the key feature.

Suspect an ovenbird if your "thrush" is hiding in thick brush. Our true thrushes tend to watch you from a fairly open perch, often near eye level, and usually slightly too far away for a good photo :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back