• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush - like ; Wales UK. (1 Viewer)

Fountain

Large, larger than a mistle thrush, more like collard dove size. Flew up high from ground, very fast wing beats, around in circles at height and then off east. I managed to grab a snap that could id? Thanks.

Attachments

• ufo.jpg
    ufo.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 148
Large, larger than a mistle thrush, more like collard dove size. Flew up high from ground, very fast wing beats, around in circles at height and then off east. I managed to grab a snap that could id? Thanks.

Interesting picture. I would say a skylark rather than a fieldfare going off the lack of speckles on the body nearest the wings. The sound of these two birds is like chalk and cheese, so that should tell you. If the sound was a beautiful, captivating sound then it will have been a skylark. Then again, larger than a mistle thrush would suggest fieldfare, although Deb once said to me that size at a quick glance can be deceiving and it certainly is. The other day, a bird was sat in a tree right next to where I was standing, although I didn't see her until she flew off because she was by the other side of the trunk. It was obvious this bird was a bird of prey, and it looked the colour of a female kestrel but far too big. She looked massive in that moment. Anyway, she circled around for a while and came back my way and flew past. She was indeed a female kestrel, and based on that short flight out of the tree I would have said too big for a female kestrel.

Very fast wing beats doesn't work for a Fieldfare either. Size can be very difficult to accurately assess without something of known size to compare it to. Skylark for me too.

Rump isn't visible in this photo. I guess you are looking at vent+undertail-coverts.
I think we can just see an indication of the rump and it does look greyish. But this is definitely a skylark for me: head pattern, extent of breast band, lack of clear (="strong") white belly and under wings, and short tail.

Thank you all kindly for your thoughts.

What does not tally is the size, I am well versed with skylarks and fieldfares having them here all summer/winter. I watched this bird break cover a kilometer away, it flew up infront of conifers and was withouh doubt Merlin to sparrowhawk size...which is what I initially suspected it to be...with its very fast wing beats of its large wings.

I appreciate 1 photo is hard to interprit and I did adjust it for gamma. So here are the other shots I took either side , unedited, just cropped.

Though Skylark id may not be wrong- it was a an outsized version!

Attachments

• DSC_0280.jpg
    DSC_0280.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0281.jpg
    DSC_0281.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0282.jpg
    DSC_0282.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0287.jpg
    DSC_0287.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0286.jpg
    DSC_0286.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0285.jpg
    DSC_0285.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0283.jpg
    DSC_0283.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0288.jpg
    DSC_0288.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0289.jpg
    DSC_0289.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0290.jpg
    DSC_0290.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0292.jpg
    DSC_0292.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
in the field, size is a notorically misintrepreted feature.
👍🏻👍🏻
The classic quote is... 'Judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable.' In assessing field descriptions, I pretty much ignore (anybody's) description of size unless the bird was seen alongside a bird of known ID.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back