• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush S-Calif (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear all,
maybe because I only have access to an app and nothing else, I am getting confused with this one. I feel it could be a Hermit Thrush or a Swainson's Thrush, but either one would have to be a western type that I am not very used to. It was seen at the Tamarisk Grove camp ground in Anza-Borrego SP a couple of weeks ago and I at the time thought this likely was a migrating bird.

I would appreciate input regarding both species and form (especially if Swainson's, Pacific or Olive-backed)?

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Thrush Q P1070765.JPG
    Thrush Q P1070765.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 84
Thanks. I had read about the more reddish Swainson's from the west but has no experience with them. At the same time, this bird some of the time (depending on angle to light I assume) showed a considerably more buffy face than showed by this photo.

Niels

In addition, if I'm not incorrect, the amount of emarginated primaries, which can be seen in the pic to be 3, favour hermit over swainson's which has 2

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back