• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush, southern Quebec (1 Viewer)

Plectrophane

Alain Deschamps
I was on a field trip with a group of birders at Montgomery bird sanctuary (on the US border, Eastern Townships, QC) last Sunday (May 28).

We were in a deciduous forest, consisting mainly of sugar maple. Under the dense canopy, the poor lighting made it impossible to take any good photos, so here's the best I could do unfortunatly.

The Wood Thrush, Hermit Thrush, and Veery are all common breeders at that location. We got to see all 3 last Sunday, and tellling them apart doesn't usually pose a problem. We also saw a couple of Swainson's thushes, a common breeder higher up on nearby montains that can be seen on migration throughout the area. The eye ring and uniformly dull olive back and tail make the identification pretty reliable.

And then we saw this bird, all grayish, with no visible eye ring. I told the the others that we were looking at a Gray cheeked Thrush, and every one accepted my verdict. But I still have my doubts. Other possibilities would include Bicnell's Thrush, very similar, but I think would have at least bit of brown or rufous in the plumage. The Bicknel's is a rare breeder at the top of some of the mountains in the region, while the Gray cheeked breeds in the taïga, very far up north

Can anyone help with ID ?

Attachments

• IMG_2714.JPG
    IMG_2714.JPG
    392.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2716.JPG
    IMG_2716.JPG
    508.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back