• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrushes. Madrid (1 Viewer)

testoduro

I'm learning to tell thruses apart. Let's see if I get a passing grade.

1. Mistle thrush. White underwings make it look like it.
2. Mistle thrush. Characteristic wing pattern.
3. Song thrush. Arrowlike spots on chest, reddish upper chest.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Zorzal charlo.jpg
    Zorzal charlo.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Charlo 10.jpg
    Charlo 10.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 50
  • Zorzal común.jpg
    Zorzal común.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
Thanks, Andrew! I always have difficulty telling them apart.
Some things to note on the third picture are the white breast (without yellowish tone) and the white outer tail feathers. Mistle Thrushes can show arrow shaped spots, particularly on the upper breast, but in general the spots are more rounded than Song Thrush, particularly on the belly and flanks.

In picture 1 the thrush is helpfully showing us its white armpits, another diagnostic feature of Mistle Thrush.
Edit: I see you already mentioned that :)

All the same, the rufous underarms of Song Thrush almost always extend to a warm buff flush on the flanks. There is no trace of that here.

The single most obvious feature is the upperparts colour: mistle thrush is normally distinctly greyish, song thrush clearly brown. Mistle thrush is a longer-looking bird, with a (relatively) smaller head.

Another pointer that you won’t find in the guides testoduro, is that the spotting on the chest of Mistle Thrush is vertical until you reach the lower belly whereupon the lozenge shape becomes horizontal.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back