• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thrushes R Fun - Las Vegas, NV (1 Viewer)

LzyPhotographer

Hi,

I've got a series of shots of 4 birds, at 2 pics per bird. The pics were shot at 3 separate locations and on different days, but all about 7500-8000 ft in the Spring Mtns.

I'm guessing that they all are Hermit Thrushes at various ages, but I could be all wrong. Take a peek and let me know if I'm close.

BTW - I have no idea why, all of the sudden, the Thrushes have decided to show themselves to me. I've gone my whole life with only seeing 1 or 2 and now they're popping up everywhere!

http://www.lazyphotographer.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=126

Thanks,
Maureen

Not wanting to hand you the ID on a plate, I'll just steer you back to your Field Guide noting the strong breast spotting and contrast between the dull brown back and rufous tail...with these features clearly shown there aren't any choices really so it's just a matter of confidence!!
Dave C
Oh, and just in case it's confusing you, birds 1 & 2 are adults, 3 & 4 are juveniles with bird 3 very recently fledged and still showing the yellow gape line. All the same species!

Last edited:

Jim M.

Choose Civility
I'm guessing that they all are Hermit Thrushes at various ages, but I could be all wrong. Take a peek and let me know if I'm close.

I would agree with your IDs. Though it is a bit hard to confirm the tail and other features on the bird in the last two photos.

Best,
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread