• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thylacine rediscovery? (2 Viewers)

Andy Adcock

England
The only thing it could be, is a feral dog, there are no Canids on Tasmania I don't think, which could be mistaken for the Thylacine

sicklebill

well-known Cretaceous relic
Australia
Let's hope they can walk the walk now, I've always thought it was still out there, just too many quite credible sightings. fingers crossed that some kind of recovery plan can be set up.

Bismarck Honeyeater

Barely known member
When I rediscover Great Auk on the Suffolk coast, I shall announce it whilst walking along with a can of beer, also I shall hold back the evidence for a week or so for...well, for no real reason, but I suspect my claim will be taken all the more seriously nonetheless.

Oh, did I mention the IBWO I saw this morning, terrible views but I can’t think what else it could have been.

😉

(I’m firing up the barbie just in case I have to eat any hats)

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
Supporter
England
Well he seemed to suggest that the museum folk were having first dab at verification of the photos so maybe that's the wait? Would be amazing......and tbh, if I was that sure I'd be downing a tinnie too!! :)

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
My skepti-meter is off the charts here. Can't even begin to enumerate the long list of massive rediscoveries / discoveries announced via handheld video while walking with a beer?!?

I too would love for it to be true, but I'm not too concerned about hat consumption at any point here, sadly.

Last edited:

Sangahyando

The only thing it could be, is a feral dog, there are no Canids on Tasmania I don't think, which could be mistaken for the Thylacine
Well, it could also be an overly optimistic description of a feral cat. We all know that size can be difficult to gauge...

DMW

My skepti-meter is off the charts here. Can't even being to enumerate the long list of massive rediscoveries / discoveries announced via handheld video while walking with a beer?!?
I believe that is the standard procedure in Tassie for major marsupial rediscoveries. Just be thankful he didn't have a slash half way through filming.

Tired

United States
Apparently it's a group that's hyped up photos in the past, then released something that turned out not to be a thylacine. That being said, if they actually have experts confirming the photo, that's... interesting.

We'll see in March, I guess.

Farnboro John

If there were Thylacines close enough to civilisation for people to be wandering about with a tinny, there would be roadkill specimens.

John

Andy Adcock

England
If there were Thylacines close enough to civilisation for people to be wandering about with a tinny, there would be roadkill specimens.

John
I presume that Thylacine are rarer than Hedgehogs, the latter of which I no longer see dead on roads and I'd also think that traffic on any roads near a Thylacine population, would be pretty sparse?

That bloke seems supremely confident and for the record, had I found a Thylacine, I wouldn't have been as half as coherent as him in the announcement video!

Melanie

The Thylacine is the Loch Ness Monster of Tasmania. There are always people who want their 5 minutes of fame by making claims for which there is no reliable evidence.

opisska

Jan Ebr
Poland
Why do you even care what someone says in a random video? Everyone can claim anything. A normal person would provide the evidence instead of announcing an announcement. This guy is an idiot.

dantheman

Bah humbug
Apparently it's a group that's hyped up photos in the past, then released something that turned out not to be a thylacine. That being said, if they actually have experts confirming the photo, that's... interesting.

We'll see in March, I guess.
Likelihood is, in diminishing order of probability - ambiguous pics they've misinterpretated -> doctored pics/fraud they've set up -> fraud someone has set up unbeknownst to most of the group -> Thylacine

??

Getting an expert opinion from someone who is either 'on their side' or they hope they can pull the wool over their eyes won't count for much.

Kittens have straight tails. Can they also have stripes?

Users who are viewing this thread