• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thylacine rediscovery? (1 Viewer)

The only thing it could be, is a feral dog, there are no Canids on Tasmania I don't think, which could be mistaken for the Thylacine

Let's hope they can walk the walk now, I've always thought it was still out there, just too many quite credible sightings. fingers crossed that some kind of recovery plan can be set up.

When I rediscover Great Auk on the Suffolk coast, I shall announce it whilst walking along with a can of beer, also I shall hold back the evidence for a week or so for...well, for no real reason, but I suspect my claim will be taken all the more seriously nonetheless.

Oh, did I mention the IBWO I saw this morning, terrible views but I can’t think what else it could have been.

😉

(I’m firing up the barbie just in case I have to eat any hats)

Well he seemed to suggest that the museum folk were having first dab at verification of the photos so maybe that's the wait? Would be amazing......and tbh, if I was that sure I'd be downing a tinnie too!! :)

My skepti-meter is off the charts here. Can't even begin to enumerate the long list of massive rediscoveries / discoveries announced via handheld video while walking with a beer?!?

I too would love for it to be true, but I'm not too concerned about hat consumption at any point here, sadly.

Last edited:
My skepti-meter is off the charts here. Can't even being to enumerate the long list of massive rediscoveries / discoveries announced via handheld video while walking with a beer?!?
I believe that is the standard procedure in Tassie for major marsupial rediscoveries. Just be thankful he didn't have a slash half way through filming.

Apparently it's a group that's hyped up photos in the past, then released something that turned out not to be a thylacine. That being said, if they actually have experts confirming the photo, that's... interesting.

We'll see in March, I guess.

If there were Thylacines close enough to civilisation for people to be wandering about with a tinny, there would be roadkill specimens.

John
I presume that Thylacine are rarer than Hedgehogs, the latter of which I no longer see dead on roads and I'd also think that traffic on any roads near a Thylacine population, would be pretty sparse?

That bloke seems supremely confident and for the record, had I found a Thylacine, I wouldn't have been as half as coherent as him in the announcement video!

The Thylacine is the Loch Ness Monster of Tasmania. There are always people who want their 5 minutes of fame by making claims for which there is no reliable evidence.

Why do you even care what someone says in a random video? Everyone can claim anything. A normal person would provide the evidence instead of announcing an announcement. This guy is an idiot.

Apparently it's a group that's hyped up photos in the past, then released something that turned out not to be a thylacine. That being said, if they actually have experts confirming the photo, that's... interesting.

We'll see in March, I guess.
Likelihood is, in diminishing order of probability - ambiguous pics they've misinterpretated -> doctored pics/fraud they've set up -> fraud someone has set up unbeknownst to most of the group -> Thylacine

??

Getting an expert opinion from someone who is either 'on their side' or they hope they can pull the wool over their eyes won't count for much.

Kittens have straight tails. Can they also have stripes?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back