• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tiaga or Tundra, near Beidaihe, east coast China 3 October 2019 (1 Viewer)

FXM

Frank Moffatt
A few poor images of three geese on the mud adjacent to Stone River Island a little north of Beidaihe, east coast China. I've shown them to a few people and there seems to be a difference of opinion. Seen Bean Geese in the area but mainly in flight so a rare opportunity to see some relatively close. We tended to favour serrirostris but there's a school of thought suggesting short-billed middendorfii. Bean Goose1a.jpg Any thoughts please?

Attachments

• Bean Goose4.jpg
    Bean Goose4.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 14
  • Bean Goose5.jpg
    Bean Goose5.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Bean Goose345.jpg
    Bean Goose345.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
To me these pictures seem to show fairly squat looking birds, with shortish necks, shortish bills, and rounded heads, all suggesting serrirostris. Pictures like this can be deceiving, but I am struggling to see any features that suggest middendorffii?

Cheers,

Lützen Portengen

To me these pictures seem to show fairly squat looking birds, with shortish necks, shortish bills, and rounded heads, all suggesting serrirostris. Pictures like this can be deceiving, but I am struggling to see any features that suggest middendorffii?

Cheers,

Lützen Portengen
Many thanks for your input Lützen,

I'd agree with your points but the suggestions from others include: longish necks, long legs, large body and big head. All hard to judge from photos (either way), but very welcome opinions.

The one point I definitely agree with that those in the middendorffii camp point out is that the bill base does not appear to be deep (high) and to me the bills look relatively thin - not big and chunky (triangular) as in serrirostris (not sure of variation in either sp.)?

To me the bills look relatively short. All bills look quite similar so it might be considered a coincidence if all three happened to be short-billed middendorffii?

Does anyone know the status of serrirostris and middendorffii around east coast China? Those birds I see reasonable well in flight look Whooper-like so I simply assume they're the latter. Wondered how regular / common the former is in the region?

Regards
Frank

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back