• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tices Meadow - week ending 25 Apr 10 (1 Viewer)

RJSeargent

Birding at the taxpayer's expense. Head down, bin
A cracking week at Tices with migrants well and truly in. Highlights have been:

5 Wheatears on 24 Apr (including one of the Greenland Race)
1 Red Kite on 24 Apr (seen by J Hunt)
2 Whinchats on 24 Apr
1 Grasshopper Warbler on 25 Apr
2 Yellow Wagtails on 24 Apr
3 Common Sandpipers on 25 Apr
1 Hobby on 25 Apr
Common Terns throughout the week
Whitethroats in and holding territory
Willow Warblers (one or two singing)
Chiffchaffs - throughout the area
Hirundines over the workings
1 or 2 Swifts now in

Rich

Last edited:
Hi Richard,

Welcome to BF good to see you on here, glad you & RH connected with the Gropper. You'll find details of my visits to Tices Meadow on the Hants,Berks, & Surrey Borders thread. Yep it's been an excellent couple of weeks at Tices, RH & Kevin Duncan also had a Dunlin & Ringed Plover in the workings this afternoon.

Cheers,

John.

Hi Rich,

And I think it will get better!!

If the warm weather continues the meadow will be dry by the second week of May. Does not sound good but then the workings water level will also be reduced. In the older part of the working the water level is shallow and should start to produce some small islands as well as long muddy edges.
During May I expect we will see lots more waders hopefully Sanderling, Grey Plover and Black-tailed Godwits (all will be firsts for Tices). Also increases of waders seen before Turnstone, Oystercatchers, Greenshank and one of the hardest common wader to see at Tices the Redshank.
I may not be able to make many visits but will be watching all of the reports and adding them to the Tices Meadow database.

Kevin

Thanks for the replies. I am now well and truly back in the UK and intend to watch Tices whenever I can. I used to bird in Germany in a similar place and waders were often prolific with a mouth-water 18 species one day and it would be good to see that sort of number here. It would be great to see Sanderling in the workings but would suspect that we would need the water levels to lower significantly to attract this species and others.

Kev, what is the wader list for Tices?

The Ringed Plover was there yesterday morning at 0630hrs but had left by 1700hrs when I arrived again.

See you all soon.

Rich

Kev, what is the wader list for Tices?

The list seen since Nov 2004:-

Oystercatcher (3 records)
Avocet (1 record)
Little Ringed Plover
Ringed Plover
Golden Plover
Lapwing
Dunlin (18 records)
Ruff (1 record)
Jack Snipe
Snipe
Bar-tailed Godwit
Whimbrel
Curlew
Redshank
Greenshank
Green Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Turnstone (2 records)

Kevin

Kev, re- Wood Sand - 1st rec 13/05/08 - Graham Osborne / Me; 2nd rec 01 - 02/08/09 Richard Horton.

John.

Hi Kev,

You can add Wood Sand to that list, not sure on date either spring 08 or 09.

John.

Hi Johnny,

You beat me too it. I remembered the Wood Sand in the middle of the night! First chance to get back on the computer since.
A few showers expected over this Bank Holiday weekend will hopefully those migrants on the ground.

Kevin.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back