• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tightening the hinge (1 Viewer)

Bob_McBob

Canada
This is an incredibly basic question, but I couldn't find a Vortex-specific answer in the forum. I have a pair of 8x42 Viper HDs (2018 version), and the hinge is slightly too loose for my taste. Is tightening it just a matter of popping off the tripod mount cap and using the two smaller holes?

In short, yes!

Be sure to loosen or undo the locking grub screw first though and careful not to lose it as this will need to be tightened back up once you've tightened the hinge to your own requirements.

All the best,
Dave.

I'm glad I waited for your reply, I wasn't sure of the function of the little set screw. I'll get that done tonight, looks like a simple job.

Speaking of "modifying" binoculars, anyone know if you can adjust the tension of the focus wheel? The focus wheel on my Diamondbacks is a little stiff so would be amazing if it could be loosened up a little.

Speaking of "modifying" binoculars, anyone know if you can adjust the tension of the focus wheel? The focus wheel on my Diamondbacks is a little stiff so would be amazing if it could be loosened up a little.
Usually due to old grease drying up and getting waxy or tolerances in the plastic parts. I have cleaned out old or even new grease ,
then used some grinding paste to ease the threads before regreasing.

Usually due to old grease drying up and getting waxy or tolerances in the plastic parts. I have cleaned out old or even new grease ,
then used some grinding paste to ease the threads before regreasing.
Thank you, Richard. Can you share any info or resources on how to access it? I've tried googling but everything I've found relates to porro prism bins. Maybe I'm not using the right verbage... I'd love to loosen up the focus wheel on my Vortex Diamondbacks if possible.

Thank you, Richard. Can you share any info or resources on how to access it? I've tried googling but everything I've found relates to porro prism bins. Maybe I'm not using the right verbage... I'd love to loosen up the focus wheel on my Vortex Diamondbacks if possible.
I'm not sure it is a job for someone inexperienced in binocular repairs and Vortex have a good guarantee policy so best send it back to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back