• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tiny Olympus VP-20 (1 Viewer)

Binoseeker

Mostly using spectacles (myopic) with binoculars.
Hello,

I bought the pen-style VP-20 for recording short messages and then thought, why not try to use it to record bird sounds and I think it worked quite well for what it is.
Attached is a recorded file converted from wav to MP3, and another version of the file but noise reduced in Audacity and then converted to MP3.

It is powered by an AAA-battery. You can attach headphones or an external microphone. It has a built in memory of 8 Gb, stereo recording and built in speaker.
Transfer of recorded files and charging is done via usb-port. Recording to MP3 or PCM (wav) format.

Frequency response
  • MP3
    128kbps / 40 - 17000Hz
  • PCM
    22.05kHz / 40 - 10000Hz
Well, maybe record in MP3 in the future to get larger frequency response.

Due to the small size it is easy to carry inside a pocket "all the time" while out walking in the woods.

/Anders

Attachments

• VP200014 noisereduced.mp3
    1,005.7 KB
  • VP200014.mp3
    947.1 KB
Well its the only recorder in my collection that has an anti-rustle setting, for when it is using its internal mics while clipped into an external pocket. My main concern is losing it and the fact I definitely need reading glasses to read the display, surprisingly the small controls are not that bad, better than some of the things you try and tap on a modern mobile phone!
Its most useful feature is probably its the record switch that starts it recording whether it is switched on or not.

Last edited:
I connected the external microphone ME66/K6, with the special adapter cable, to the VP-20 and it worked fine to record.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back