• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tips & tricks (1 Viewer)

Green Fields

Professional Bug Remover
Staff member
United Kingdom
Found a neat new feature with the new site? Share it in this thread so others can find out about it (y)

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Good Things!

• ‘Bookmark’ is an excellent feature - I shall use this a lot, especially in the ID threads
(to ‘bookmark’ a thread, simply press ‘bookmark’ in the ‘new feature’ bar on the top right of a
a post in the thread. Create a name. Save. Saved bookmarks can be found in user account.📖

• The format bar is much easier to use! (situated at the top of reply box) I like the strike through! ‘TT’ allows me to change the text SIZE
To insert an image - click on ’landscape’ icon and follow option prompts
  • The ‘share’ link is also a great feature - makes it easy eg to email a link to a thread.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
WOW and WOW! The image viewer functions are amazing - this will be incredibly helpful in ID threads - it isn’t my imagination, the images are definitely clearer. The multi-view function will be especially helpful when commenting on IDs where people have posted multiple images - it used to be very confusing referring to an image or even remembering the order of the images when typing a response.

To use the image viewer, click on image - chose from menu bar at the top of the image - the tiled icon allows you to see all images at the same time, then just scroll along minimised images or use arrow function (like Flikr) to scroll. Image can be enlarged or minimised (and still downloaded with users permission)

Danielbirdwatcher

Danielbirdwatcher
I'm on my Chrome book and have discovered if you want a bigger picture of the gallery take your two index fingers and pull wide, one finger to the west and the other to the east and you will get a bigger picture. A course if you go too wide it will become blurry. Hope this helps.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Formatting text functions are much better and it’s good you don’t have to go to an advanced option

The formatting tool bar is at the top of the post reply dialogue box -
  • Bold, italics, text size, colour, functions all in menu bar at top of the dialogue box
  • click on the 3 vertical dots in the same toolbar which will bring up your emojis.
  • If you want to upload an image, click on the landscape icon.
  • If you want to post a URL link, click on the link icon next to the landscape icon.
  • To save a draft of your post, click on the 3 dots in the right hand top corner of the dialogue box and click on the computer disc icon

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Found a neat new feature with the new site? Share it in this thread so others can find out about it

QUOTES
  • Another great feature seems to be that you can now quote several people at the same times in one post by first creating your post reply box and then select whom you want to quote by holding finger/mouse over any part of someone’s post until a ‘reply prompt’ appears - click that and it automatically creates a quote box by that person in your new post and you can then copy and paste in however much of their post you want straight into the quote box in your reply box and so on for multiply quotes.
  • If you want to split their posts and quote a section at a time, just create a new quote box each time in exactly the same way, by holding finger/mouse down on any part of their post until ‘reply’ appears, then click reply and it will automatically insert another quote box attributed to that person in your reply box
  • - (it also keeps the quote box if they have quoted you in their post you are now quoting) No need anymore for messy quotes or typing QUOTE numerous times in order to quote several people in one post - excellent improvements in formatting..

Last edited:

tenex

reality-based
  • Another great feature seems to be that you can now quote several people at the same times in one post by first creating your post reply box and then select whom you want to quote by holding finger/mouse over any part of someone’s post until a ‘reply prompt’ appears - click that and it automatically creates a quote box by that person in your new post and you can then copy and paste in however much of their post you want straight into the quote box in your reply box and so on for multiply quotes.
Thanks, that doesn't seem to work on a real computer but in the process I discovered that the equivalent is to mark a block of text in someone's post, upon which a "Reply" tab appears by it to click on. Doing this again (on the same or other!) posts adds multiple quote boxes within the same reply post, with the selected text already in them. This would not have been obvious to me.

Last edited:

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
That’s basically the same method I think Tenex - I guess whether you highlight a whole section of text or just one word and then copy and paste, it creates the quote box. You can then quote selected text from different parts of someone’s post into the same quote box or start a new quote box to quote someone else. I discovered it by accident, It’s a very useful feature!

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
Europe
....can also add them to a signature - don’t know if that is intended or not?

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Another great feature seems to be that you can now quote several people at the same times in one post
If you want to split their posts and quote a section at a time, just create a new quote box each time in exactly the same way,
Doing this again (on the same or other!) posts adds multiple quote boxes within the same reply post, with the selected text already in them.
OK - great - this is actually working for me and answers my question on multiquoting in the snag threads.

Now to see if I can somehow copy the link to this post (coz it's not obvious to me where ....), and then post it in the relevant thread .....

Chosun 🙅

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
SHARE A POST IN ANOTHER THREAD

This one is also really helpful. To post a link in another thread from a post elsewhere use the ‘share icon’ in the menu bar (the share icon only appears in a post thats already been uploaded so if you are intending to duplicate post, upload your initial post first). Click the share icon in the top right of the post you want to share. Go to the thread you want to link the post in, create a new reply dialogue box, then press ‘paste’. So now I have created a post to post link with the snagging thread. It’s that easy and instead of posting just a page link, it takes you straight to the actual post I want to link to.

Post in thread 'Tips & tricks'
https://www.birdforum.net/threads/tips-tricks.401722/post-4100066

Last edited:

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
SHARE A POST IN ANOTHER THREAD

This one is also really helpful. To post a link in another thread from a post elsewhere use the ‘share icon’ in the menu bar (the share icon only appears in a post thats already been uploaded so if you are intending to duplicate post, upload your initial post first). Click the share icon in the top right of the post you want to share. Go to the thread you want to link the post in, create a new reply dialogue box, then press ‘paste’. So now I have created a post to post link with the snagging thread. It’s that easy and instead of posting just a page link, it takes you straight to the actual post I want to link to.

Post in thread 'Tips & tricks'
https://www.birdforum.net/threads/tips-tricks.401722/post-4100066
Dag nabbit !
If only it was that easy for me.
If I click on the share icon, a 'share this post' dialog box comes up with the 4 share platforms, and a highlighted address bar underneath - but that's it.
If I go to another thread, open up a reply box, and then press paste - nada (just whatever was in the buffer last).

Time for a snooze, and address this next week.

Chosun 🙆

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
Europe
Where's the start button !?!
It's just a pic for me ...... 😢

Chosun 🙆
Ah guess there is some “subject to device” compatibility then 😕 guess the Crow in my signature is static for you too? ☹️ They just move without intervention for me on an iPad.

Brett Richards

United Kingdom
I can't see thumbnail attachments; instead, there is a grey box with the nade of the attachment '...jpg' but I can't open it, and scrolling down there is no end to that posting. My operating system is Vista Home Premium. Has that got anything to do with it?

Brett

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Ah guess there is some “subject to device” compatibility then 😕 guess the Crow in my signature is static for you too? ☹️ They just move without intervention for me on an iPad.
If I click on your name and go to the 'about' tab of your profile - I can see your signature there and I can see the crow having a good old squawk (if that's the technical birding term !)

However - if your signature is meant to appear under your posts - then I'm not seeing it at all.

I also didn't see any movement in the gif Deb briefly posted either.

Chosun 🙆

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
Europe
If I click on your name and go to the 'about' tab of your profile - I can see your signature there and I can see the crow having a good old squawk (if that's the technical birding term !)

However - if your signature is meant to appear under your posts - then I'm not seeing it at all.

I also didn't see any movement in the gif Deb briefly posted either.

Chosun 🙆
Interesting you can see my little Crow there - he should appear at the end of each post I make, as you can imagine (or have to imagine, as the case may be.....hopefully that is only the case currently though 😊)

You can opt to not see people’s signatures as a setting in preferences - I assume that hasn’t been selected in your settings and it is only a gif issue.

Users who are viewing this thread