• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tips & tricks (2 Viewers)

Kits

Picture Picker
Ah guess there is some “subject to device” compatibility then 😕 guess the Crow in my signature is static for you too? ☹️ They just move without intervention for me on an iPad.
Your GIF moves for me on Mac and iPhone; your crow moves for me on Mac, but no signatures are visible on my phone. Not yet looked on my iPad.

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
Europe
Your GIF moves for me on Mac and iPhone; your crow moves for me on Mac, but no signatures are visible on my phone. Not yet looked on my iPad.
On my phone I see none of the larger signatures until I turn it to landscape which is clever from a space saving and readability point of view 👍

Kits

Picture Picker
Huzzah! Thanks for that, ET! Just tried it and the siggies appear! It is rare that I have my phone landscape.

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
Hello,
How do you delete messages?

Stay safe,
Arthur
I just managed by selecting / ticking the relevant " conversation " then scroll down and you can then choose from the box - leave conversation, click to confirm and it will disappear ( no delete button! ) .

tenex

reality-based
Now to see if I can somehow copy the link to this post (coz it's not obvious to me where ....), and then post it in the relevant thread .....
Just as before, click on the post number at top right for a link to the post.
I also didn't see any movement in the gif Deb briefly posted either.
Nor did I... this is probably a browser setting. I have mine set to play animated GIFs only once to minimize annoyance, and that probably happened before I scrolled down and saw the image at all.
How do you delete messages?
On your own (recent enough) message, Delete is right next to Edit at the bottom.

I really like the way a cumulative reply keeps appearing at the bottom of each new page until you post it. Now all I need to know is how to find my previous position on the page after popping a quote into the reply.

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am not really interested in the technical threads, e.g. the binocular manufacturers. I can see how to opt into Ruffled Feathers, but is there a way of opting out of the technical ones?

Green Fields

Professional Bug Remover
Staff member
United Kingdom
If you only want to quote a specific part of a post you can highlight it and then choose 'Reply' – (or 'Quote' if you want to add it to a list of multiple quotes to use in your reply later)

select-reply.gif

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Julie, do you mean making certain threads just invisible? I don’t think there’s a collapse function as we had before (yet?) so all the forums will be visible on the forum page (there doesn’t seem to be a home page separate from the forums page - perhaps that’s still a work in progress?).

You can manage your threads from your account if that’s any help - following/subscribing etc. I don’t think there’s an ignore option so perhaps just don’t look at the ones that don't interest you?
Julie, I have just thought of possible solution/work around if you only want to read certain threads or look at only your favourite forums - I’ve now started a list which excludes the stuff I am not interested in.

WATCHED FORUMs and WATCHED THREADs

There is a whole new sub-section under FORUMS called ’Watched‘
  • If you click ‘watch’ at the top left of a forum it saves it in a watched forum list - you can then opt in to receive notifications (in the bell by your name in the banner bar) if any new threads go up
  • if anyone posts a new thread in that forum if you will get an notification alert or just leave alerts unchecked.
  • This way you could create a watched forum list and just work from that sub-section of the Site using the links to the forums to navigate the Site.
  • Ok To access your FORUM watchlist, click ‘Watched’ under ’Forums’ on the main page, then choose ‘forums’ from your drop down list and you will see all your favourite forums all together in one list.
  • To access your watched threads, choose ‘threads’ rather than ‘forums from the drop down list

WATCHED THREADS

you can add individual threads to your watch list by clicking ‘watch at the top of the thread so if there are any particular threads not on your usual forum watch list you want to follow, you can do that too and manage them in the same way in the ’watched section’

Last edited:

Andy Adcock

England
Interesting you can see my little Crow there - he should appear at the end of each post I make, as you can imagine (or have to imagine, as the case may be.....hopefully that is only the case currently though 😊)

You can opt to not see people’s signatures as a setting in preferences - I assume that hasn’t been selected in your settings and it is only a gif issue.
I can see it on my old PC which is using WIN7 and it's moving.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
If you only want to quote a specific part of a post you can highlight it and then choose 'Reply' – (or 'Quote' if you want to add it to a list of multiple quotes to use in your reply later)

View attachment 1355808
See post #6 earlier in the thread. We already got most of that but thanks for the ‘quote’ prompt suggestion for saving a list of multiple quotes - that saves having to keep jumping back to your reply each time.

Green Fields

Professional Bug Remover
Staff member
United Kingdom
See post #6 earlier in the thread. We already got most of that but thanks for the ‘quote’ prompt suggestion for saving a list of multiple quotes - that saves having to keep jumping back to your reply each time.
Oops, sorry Deb! Too much going on to keep track :) Glad you found it, and thanks for sharing so many tips already!

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
This is Another great feature!

If you start a reply but then want to go to another part of the forum to check on another thread or look in the gallery, rather than having to open another tab, using the same tab to browse, when you come back to the thread you started your reply on, your half written reply is still there waiting for you to complete it and post!

Last edited:

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
You can change it on your signature using the arrows symbol, but I haven't found a way to do it in a post yet.
It’s not working for me. The arrow function(resize icon is in a text field so my ipad key board automatically pops up. It will probably work fine on a laptop. To resize in the body of your message, if you touch the image, a small toolbar appears with an option to manually resize the gif. Unfortunately I tried several times but it wouldn’t save the change so perhaps this is a small glitch. I will try with a normal image. (edit - changing the size of an image once youve uploaded it into a post doesnt seem to be an option)

Last edited:

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
Europe
It’s not working for me. The arrow function(resize icon is in a text field so my ipad key board automatically pops up. It will probably work fine on a laptop. To resize in the body of your message, if you touch the image, a small toolbar appears with an option to manually resize the gif. Unfortunately I tried several times but it wouldn’t save the change so perhaps this is a small glitch. I will try with a normal image. (edit - changing the size of an image once youve uploaded it into a post doesnt seem to be an option)
I’m on an iPad and get this...
7C2F6231-7A14-48D5-A1D2-1924A84A44E7.png

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
Europe
Yes, but it won’t save the measurements and keeps reverting to auto
Not sure then, I type in the numbers, tap update, then tap save, and it just let me change my Crow size a couple of times.

....but if your’s is not a square, just change one side and leave the other as auto, that should work I think.

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
Europe
Not sure then, I type in the numbers, tap update, then tap save, and it just let me change my Crow size a couple of times.

....but if your’s is not a square, just change one side and leave the other as auto, that should work I think.
.....yes that seems to be the answer for non-square gifs in signatures as just tested it 👍

Users who are viewing this thread