• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tips & tricks (3 Viewers)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Gallery images

Tags
Pictures often won't show in a search unless information has been entered into the Tags field.

You can do this at the time of upload, or add them by clicking on the luggage label.

As you start to type a predictive drop down list will appear. It is essential to select from this list for the tag to 'stick'. You can add more than one. I suggest the scientific name, and at least the county/state (spelt out in full) and the country, as well as the common name.

At present the Gallery search is only looking in the Tags field. Ollie is working on improving this.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Thanks Delia - I found that problem yesterday when searching for a species - managed to figure it out but I think there still maybe issues for those uploading new images as the upload interface isn’t remembering previous upload details so it all needs to be entered from scratch each time (ie equipment etc). I think Ollie or Steve said they were looking at a fix.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hopefully Deb (I must have missed that post but things are happening so quickly for my old brain!!)

Yes, I open a previous upload of mine and copy and paste stuff from it into my new upload. Peter flagged it up earlier in a thread.

Last edited:

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
PROFILE POSTS

A few people, including myself, were wondering what ‘Profile Posts’ were, so I thought I would try it out seeing other members were using the facility.The basic idea I think is to give people an idea/glimpse into the day you’re having and get a sense of being in a Community:

• Status Updates - To use the Profile Post facility, I entered my message into the ‘Status Updates’ text field found in my profile/account
  • To view my new post, I went to ‘Profile Posts’ under the Members tag on the main banner heading - there it was along with everyone else's messages!
  • There’s an option once the Profile Post is made, to upload media files and add formatting and furthur comments to one’s own post by using ‘edit’
  • There’s a ‘like’ tab for others’ posts but am not sure whether it is possible to reply to anyone else’s post (unless to a moderator?) but perhaps someone can confirm?

• (There’s also a drop down filter to follow people)

Jmakepeace

Supporter
United Kingdom
SHARE A POST IN ANOTHER THREAD

This one is also really helpful. To post a link in another thread from a post elsewhere use the ‘share icon’ in the menu bar (the share icon only appears in a post thats already been uploaded so if you are intending to duplicate post, upload your initial post first). Click the share icon in the top right of the post you want to share. Go to the thread you want to link the post in, create a new reply dialogue box, then press ‘paste’. So now I have created a post to post link with the snagging thread. It’s that easy and instead of posting just a page link, it takes you straight to the actual post I want to link to.

Post in thread 'Tips & tricks'
https://www.birdforum.net/threads/tips-tricks.401722/post-4100066
Seems to work well 😁

tenex

reality-based
Antarctica
There’s a ‘like’ tab for others’ posts but am not sure whether it is possible to reply to anyone else’s post (unless to a moderator?) but perhaps someone can confirm?
There are option(s) in your Preferences as to whether other members may comment on your Profile posts and so on.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Not really a ‘neat trick’ or ‘tip’ but a fun inadvertent quiz!

The moving slide show banner of recent bird photos added to the gallery often shows a tantalising portion only of the whole subject - I’ve been having fun guessing the species before clicking on the images! 😁

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
I don’t know whether it’s a new feature or I just haven’t noticed it before but it’s actually quite cool. If you have posted on a thread, it has your avatar overlayed on the thread starter’s avatar and when you touch it, it tells you how many posts you have made to that thread.

It makes it really easy to see which threads you have commented on in the forum list.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Thanks Kits - I feel a bit guilty sometimes for not seeing straight away all the great subtle features Olly has built into this Site - it’s like peeling an onion!

HAPPY NEW YEAR OLLIE! And thank you 🍾🎆🎇🎈🎈🎈

Kits

Picture Picker
I really like the way links to other sites are so easy to do now.

bflginidx

I like the new forum page redesign. One question I have is I'm pretty sure when viewing threads in the old layout I was able to view the posts in "newest first" order. That's not the case for me now. Is there a setting that will allow you to change the chronological sort order?

Users who are viewing this thread