• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

To the Top End & the Kimberley (1 Viewer)

MJB

Peter Colston and I have planned a Darwin-to-Darwin 4x4 round trip from mid-August to late September this year.

Pete has been to Oz numerous times, mostly long ago when he was the workhorse** on BMNH collecting expeditions some decades ago, but he's never been to the north. He worked in the BMNH bird skin collection over a long period and has collaborated with numerous people on taxonomic descriptions, papers and books. Perhaps that's reflected in the number of species and subspecies named colstoni - check out the IOC List.

Now 81, Pete is taking it easy these days, having been to Antarctica, Israel and Kuwait this year, and is off to Madeira in a few days' time....

Our itinerary includes:

In NT, Pine Creek, Kakadu NP (& Cooinda) and Katherine outward, Darwin area on return.

In WA, Kununurra, Ellenbrae, Drysdale Homestead, Mitchell Falls NP, AWC Mornington Camp, Broome Observatory outbound, Windjana Gorge, Purnululu and Parry's Farm on return.

I've driven most of that route and am in touch with people who live and work along the parts that will be new to me.

Our in-country arrangements have been pretty well finalised and we'd much appreciate any up to date info and advice, especially once we're there.

Amongst our birding targets are Black Grasswren and Kimberley Honeyeater., but any info on such things as the likelihood of Spotted Whistling Duck in the Darwin area around the time we'll be there would be of considerable interest!

This is just a brief intro. We hope you like it!

PM me if you have any queries that otherwise would bore Bird Forum members!
MJB

PS Pete has seen several thousand species and his eyes are still very sharp.

**By workhorse, I mean that Pete's early days working for the BMNH were in the era of 'gentlemen and players' - the gentlemen discussed and settled on the plans, and then said 'get on with it, Colston'. For example, all the work as first describer of Hall's Babbler Pomatostomus halli was done by Pete...

MJB

Lovely photo of the Black Grasswren (and there was me thinking Ads would have mellowed with age;))!

That's one of the characteristic colours on his palette - Mellow Yellow!:t:
MJB
PS We hope to meet up with Laurie in Darwin and buy him a beer, but it depends on his schedule, which is a bit tight

MJB

That's one of the characteristic colours on his palette - Mellow Yellow!:t:
MJB
PS We hope to meet up with Laurie in Darwin and buy him a beer, but it depends on his schedule, which is a bit tight

First update: we set off tomorrow (10 August) on a meander across Europe to spend a few days on the Austria-Hungary border to see how Great Bustard has fared this year, and maybe find Sakers that have just fledged.

We land at Perth in a week's time...o:D
MJB

MJB

I'll look out for you in the airport! (should be FIFO'ing back from Tom Price about then!)

At 0800 Tuesday 15 August, we should be airborne on the first leg to Dubai in just over 7 hours. 11 hours overnight in Dubai, then 10.5 hours to Perth!
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread