• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tokina AF 300mm f/2.8 vs. Nikon 300 mm f/2.8 ED Ai-S (1 Viewer)

Hello.

I've found 2 bright second hand telephoto lenses at very good price. They are: Tokina AF 300mm f/2.8 and Nikon 300 mm f/2.8 ED Ai-S. Which is the best?

Here is Tokina's review: http://nikonglass.blogspot.com/2008/01/tokina-300mm-f28-af-at-x-pro.html

Thanks 4 help

I think the review says it all ... no-one is going to put their neck on the block and say that the Tokina is better than the Nikkor but in terms of performance/cost it's probably close. Best way to find out is try tham and see.

Nick

If I am not wrong the Nikon is a MF lens, the Tokina is an AF lens (old style that requires AF motor in the camera body).

Other than pricing and condition of the lenses another thing to keep in mind .....

Ulli

Nikon 300mm f/2.8 has two versions (prices from ebay):
MF, old - 700$
AF - 1000$

I wonder about lens with AF. Prices of Tokina and Nikon are very similar, except the lens I want to buy a x2.0 TC to get 600/5.6

I've read comparison Tokina with Nikon, same AF speed. The question is which of them has better Image Quality?

. Prices of Tokina and Nikon are very similar, except the lens I want to buy a x2.0 TC to get 600/5.6
quote]

The review referred to in your OP suggests that the Tokina would be good up to 1.4x converter but perhaps Nikon if you want 2x.

in all honesty if using a fairly modern camera ,i.e d300 series ,d7000 etc you would get equal or better performance with less weight to carry about from a nikon 300mm f4 afs-ed .check out my flickr stream and go back a couple of months.
i tend to use my 300mm f4 and 1.7tc 98% of the time its a fab combo ,i dont think you would gain any benefit from either lens you list over the f4

Last edited:
in all honesty if using a fairly modern camera ,i.e d300 series ,d7000 etc you would get equal or better performance with less weight to carry about from a nikon 300mm f4 afs-ed .check out my flickr stream and go back a couple of months.
i tend to use my 300mm f4 and 1.7tc 98% of the time its a fab combo ,i dont think you would gain any benefit from either lens you list over the f4

This.

If you can afford it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back