• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Too much eye relief? (1 Viewer)

The Zeiss ones are good, and I got the tip on this forum (among many other tips!). The o-rings must squish in a bit when you screw in the eyecups because it feels perfectly solid.

Stephen,

The bicycle shop gave me a bag of discarded inner tubes and I went to town. I found the approximate sizes that I needed (i.e. it works, but not a perfect fit), and installed your modification on two pairs of bins. What a difference that extra 2mm makes!

Thank you! I think I will dub the mod as "The Stephen Mod"

Bloodstriker

I am most glad the fix worked for you. Thank you for the credit!

In passing three other uses of bicycle inner tube, now that you have a selection of sizes, are;
* To fix eyecups in the up position
* To stop the diopter adjuster from turning too freely
* To make wings.

Wings can serve to cut out distracting sidelight. But also if the exit pupil of your binocular is small, they may assist you to locate your eyes immediately at the centre of the exit pupil when you put the binocular to your eyes. I use home-made wings for both purposes on a 7x26 compact. I have also fitted extensions to the compact, so that the overall effect should be to locate the eye both vertically and horizontally over the exit pupil.

And of course you can make custom rubber bands: That's how I manage the diopter adjuster fix. Or I have fitted three broad rubber bands around the barrel of a monocular to make it more 'grippy'.

Stephen

Last edited:
Since joining this site to research my first binocular purchase, I now own a small collection of bins. There's just something about optics that I like.

I have noticed one consistent complaint though. It seems as if the eye relief of every single binocular I won is too much. Another way of saying this is that the eye cups are too short.

I wear contact lenses, so I need the eye cups extended on all my bins. It seems the only bins that I can brace easily is the Conquest HD 10x42. And this is only because I have changed the eye cups to the extended replacements from Zeiss.

So far I've noticed this on my Euro HD 10x32, Terra ED 10x25, Pentax Papillio 2 8.5, Pentax AD 8x25 WP and to a lesser extent, Swarovski 10x25. I also experienced this while testing the Zeiss Victory SF 10x42, however it didn't happen with the HT 10x42. (Which is one of the reasons I am considering an HT above the SF for my next pair).

Does anyone else have this issue? If so, are there any aftermarket accessories that are made for correcting this? I've heard of using o-rings as a mod but I'm unsure as to where to begin.
I have just solved this problem with my bins. I took a pair of rubber eye cups off an old pair of bins and slid them over my new ones. The extra distance this gave me and the increased width allows me to jam my bins right into my sockets for perfect vision and the lens covers still go on.

Could Alpha glass manufacturers be targeting their market?
Maybe most folk that have the disposable cash to pay big bucks, also are at the age that they need to wear glasses?
Just a thought.

I have just solved this problem with my bins. I took a pair of rubber eye cups off an old pair of bins and slid them over my new ones. The extra distance this gave me and the increased width allows me to jam my bins right into my sockets for perfect vision and the lens covers still go on.
I’ve done this also, and works well. They gave me the additional 2-3mm height I needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back