• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tooth-billed Pigeon (1 Viewer)

Daniel Philippe

Bruce M.D. & Bahr N., 2020. The discovery and naming of the remarkable Tooth-billed Pigeon Didunculus strigirostris of Samoa and the history of the reception, attempted suppression and acceptance of Titian Peale’s report on the mammals and birds of the United States Exploring Expedition 1838–1842 (1849), with a summary of the status of Peale’s new species. Sherbornia 6 (1): 1-42.

There

Incredibly well researched article. Still there remains questions. "Lastly, the missing link to the still unsolved mysteries in this tale remains as the elusive Arthur Strickland. Apart from being H.E.’s nephew, who was he? What happened to him? Did he leave personal papers in a collection somewhere?"
I have not found much. Arthur Strickland (b 25.02.1784, d 27.11.1863). m. (18.07.1854) Anne Sawden (dau of James Sawden of Langtoft).
http://www.natstand.org.uk/pdf/StricklandHE000.pdf . This describes him as a cousin? Is there another Arthur?
Arthurs headstone describes him "His life was spent in the active study of the Wonderful works of God," Birds?
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/Boynton/BoyntonStAndrewsMemPlaques2Transcription .
Wikipedia states"A niece or nephew sometimes refers to a first cousin once removed. "
His papers and skins may be at Cambridge with Hugh's or Yorkshire Museum Erroll Fuller the Great Auk mentions Yorkshire Museum, York: Freddy Bell‘s auk; Arthur Strickland‘s auk
Salvin Sales Catalogue of Hugh Edwin Strickland:

Hugh Strickland largely increased his collection by purchasing about 1200 specimens from his cousin Nathaniel Constantine Strickland. Another cousin, Arthur Strickland, purchased at the same time some 500 additional specimens, which also became the property of H. E. Strickland in 1850.
Edit Hugh had a brother in the Royal Navy who died of the Yellow fever in 1835 he had collected birds in Cape of Good Hope Mauritius and southern India, (and the pacific islands?) Possibly since Algernon died in Port Royale Jamaica.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/72675#page/9/mode/1up .
https://www.google.com/books/editio...y+edwin+strickland&pg=PR4&printsec=frontcover .

Rev Nathaniel Constantine Strickland (1802.9.7 – 1886.1.12) was Arthur's younger brother.
Algernon's letters home from 1830 to 1834 are at the Bodleian Library special collections, Oxford.

Last edited:
Mark, these two trees should make the relationship between Arthur and Hugh clear.

P

Attachments

• Strickland1.JPG
    Strickland1.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Strickland2.JPG
    Strickland2.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 18
A nice vignette: Arthur married his 32-year-old kitchenmaid Anne Sawden at the age of 61 and took as a ward one of Anne's nieces. Arthur dies 9 years later leaving Anne 2000 pounds. Anne and her niece live a lovely existence in Bridlington, Yorkshire for the rest of their days.

Arthur wrote many papers on the birds of Bridlington and opened a museum there in 1834. On its close much of this collection made its way to the York Museum.

Last edited:
Perhaps publication of the above timing motivated by the publication of
Sherbornia Volume 8(1) (6 February 2023)
Bruce, M.D. 2023. The Genera of Birds (1844–1849) by George Robert Gray:
Sherbornia -- Volume 8 . Originally supposed to be published in Zoological Bibliography?

Having nothing to do with tooth-billed, but in the Bruce, The Genera of Birds article.
In a footnote it says:"What would be helpful on this point is a census of the extant bound volumes with the misprints..." He is speaking of Conspectus Generum Avium v. 1 Bonaparte. I focuses on the MLLVUS misprint for Milvus on page 21.
I do not live near a good library other than the Google. In my census I found three books with the Mllvus misprint. One from a library in Rome, one from a library from Lyon and one from the Smithsonian.
Conspectus generum avium .
Conspectus generum avium .
t.1-2; Index (1850-1865) - Conspectus generum avium - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
And only one book with the fix to Mllvus into Milvus on p. 21.
t.1 (1850) - Conspectus generum avium - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Also from the Smithsonian.
In this one is an errata page in type that lists all the misprints. This one entered the Smithsonian in 1858. It has a page which the others do not have that lists a different typographer. t.1 (1850) - Conspectus generum avium - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
The errata page may have been typed by Richmond.
v.53=no.2194-2222 (1917) [Lacks:Pl.52] - Proceedings of the United States National Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Last edited:
I had always assumed that my copy of Bonaparte’s Conspectus Generum Avium was the first edition, since it contains the misspelling Mllvus on p. 21. However, when I checked the other spellings referred to by Richmond (1917), nine are erroneous (first ed.) and fifteen are correct (second ed.), making my copy a hybrid! A pencilled note within gives: Vol. I, part I, pp. 1-272. 1850; Vol. I, part II, pp. 273-543. 1850; Vol. II, pp. 1-159. 1855; Vol. II, pp. (160)-184. 1856; Vol. II, pp. 185-232. 1857. The generic names are correctly spelled in Finsch’s Index (1865) (bound in).

Bruce 2023 asks “The assumption clearly is that at some point within the first few weeks, or perhaps only days, of circulating his first publication.

of his Conspectus, in parts, as signature groups of advance

sheets, Bonaparte became aware of the misprints and corrected

them as soon as he could; but were corrected advance sheets.

distributed separately or was the corrected ‘edition’ only subsequently

published as a complete volume?”

This has been answered by Mr. Jobling looking through his copy. Most likely the corrected advance sheets were distributed separately.

HathiTrust has two copies of volume 1 online, one from the University of California and one at the University of Illinois. Based on page 21 one has misprints and the other is fixed.

Catalog Record: Conspectus generum avium .

Dating Bonaparte's works is generally a nightmare, yet is critically important because he often used his new names several times in different works in a short period of time, thus many of these names have several potential original descriptions (and not infrequently several potential original spellings)...

The two "versions" of the first volume of the Conspectus differ consistently, i.a., in the types used for numbering the genera and species. E.g., looking at the number '1', this:
1677100672705.png
is from a version without typos, while this:
1677100633211.png
is from a version with typos. Most pages in any copy can be readily attributed to one or the other based on this difference.
Most copies I have seen scanned were entirely one or the other; some, however, appear indeed to be an assemblage of parts from both versions (such as this one, from the Lyon Public Library -- gatherings 1, 4, 7, 9-34, 39 and 62 of Vol. I are of the "without typos" type, the rest is of the "with typos" type; this copy has a misspelled Mllvus (gathering 3), but a correct Beauharnaisius (gathering 12)).
Interestingly :
  • Volume II uses types similar to those in the version of Volume I with typos, e.g:
    1677101434634.png
  • I have yet to find a copy with typos (in part or in full) of Volume I, which would not be bound to a copy of Volume II.
  • In the note inserted in Volume II in 1857 (reproduced in Priority!), EJ Brill indicated that a copy of Volume I was being joined to the copies of Volume II.
I think the scenario that accomodates these facts best is that the version of Volume I with distinct types was the original, while the version with the same types as those used in Volume II must have been a reprint, which may have been produced to be joined to Volume II (as indicated in Brill's note), at the time the latter was published (hence the similar types), and as a complement to the leftovers of the original edition (hence the existence of some mixed copies).

Under this scenario, the version without typos would be the original, and the typos would be in the reprint -- not the other way around.

What I have in my notes re. publication history:

Vol. I

Publication announcement in Bibliogr. Nederland :
Notes :
  • This journal started after the publication of Sectio prima.
  • It is here explicitly indicated that "Sectio secunda" was pp. 273-464.

Notices in Leipziger Repert. deutsch. u. ausl. Lit. :
"Sectio prima", pp. 1-272, "Erstes Augustusheft" 1850 Leipziger repertorium der deutschen und ausländischen literatur
"Sectio secunda", pp. 273-464, "Erstes Decemberheft" 1850 Leipziger repertorium der deutschen und ausländischen literatur
"Sect. II. p. 2.", pp. 465-543, "Vierter Band" 1851 Leipziger Repertorium der deutschen und ausländischen Literatur
Notes:
  • It is here explicitly indicated that "Sectio prima" extended up to p. 272, and that "Sectio secunda" was in two parts, first pp. 273-464, then pp. 465-543.
  • The "Zweites Decemberheft" of this journal included only the Register (i.e., being in the "Erstes Decemberheft" does not imply publication in some "first part" of the month).

Notices in Intell.-Bl. zum Serapeum:
"Sect. I.", 30 Jun 1850 Serapeum
"Sect. II.", 31 Jan 1851 Serapeum

Notice in Allg. Monatschr. Lit. :
Notes :
  • It is here explicitly indicated that "Sectio prima" extended up to p. 272.

Hartlaub's reviews in Arch. Naturgesch. :
Notes:
  • Hartlaub 1851 indicated that the first part of the work had appeared in Apr 1850 ("Schon im April folgte dieser Tabelle die erste Abtheilung des "Conspectus generum avium""). This "first part" may however have consisted in (an unknown number of) early sheets, which would have been distributed by Bonaparte before the official publication of the "Sectio prima".
  • Hartlaub 1851 commented on the entire (543-pp long) first volume ("Der 543 Seiten starke die Psittaci, Accipitres und Passeres mit circa 3670 Arten umfassende erste Theil des Werkes"), in a work reviewing 1850 publications.
  • Hartlaub 1852 was explicit that no continuation of this work had appeared ("Ohne Fortsetzung blieben: [...] C. L. Bonaparte "Conspectus generura avium.""), in a work reviewing 1851 publications.

Dates of receipt in C. R. hebdomadaires Séances Acad. Sci. Paris :
Notes :

Dates of receipt ("from the author") of parts in Proc. Acad. Nat. Sci. Philadelphia :
Notes :
  • the page numbers declared in the second and third batch suggest that the first two pages of gathering 30 were included in both batches. (Which seems unlikely...)
  • gathering 44 was lacking in the batch received on 15 Oct, and was received with the next batch, on 3 Dec. (It seems unlikely that this gathering could have been produced before those that followed it, though. Possibly Bonaparte just forgot to include it in the batch he sent to the Academy.)
  • There is no cut in these receipts that would correspond to the widely published end of Sectio prima (gathering 34) / start of Sectio secunda (gathering 35).
  • gathering 54 was not declared as having been received, despite gatherings 55-58 were.
  • gatherings 59-68 were not declared as having been received.

Vol. II

Publication completed after 1 Oct 1857 based on a note bearing this date, inserted by E.J. Brill in the volume, and announcing that he was publishing the unfinished work after the author's death.

Publication announcement in Nederlandsche Bibliogr. :
gath. 1-29, pp. 1-232, 13 Oct 1857 Nederlandsche bibliographie

Dates of announcement of receipt ("vom Verfasser") of parts by Cabanis in J. Ornithol. :
Notes :

Notices in Naumannia :

Last edited:
Laurent, many thanks for your valuable insight, which has enabled me to identify my copy of the Conspectus as a mixed version (like the Lyon Public Library copy you refer to). I also thought that there appear to be small but consistent differences in various numbers (e.g. 0, 3, 7), but these broke down upon closer examination.

Laurent I was wondering if you could prepare a note on this topic for my new online journal Richmondena? (smiley icon) In Wood, An introduction to the literature of vertebrate zoology, he seems to quote from a letter from Richmond: “'No one seemed to suspect that there were two editions of Bonaparte's Conspectus until I noted the fact over fifteen years ago. On comparing my own copy with the office volumes I found that one set was printed in type slightly smaller than the other, and that no new names had been added or other changes made in the (probably) later printing except certain typographical errors. The reason for the second edition may have been the occurrence of a fire or a demand for additional copies after the distribution of the type used for printing the first issue.”

I think you are more correct than Richmond in Wood. And Bruce, your way has no lapsus calami, nor justified emendations nor first revisors.

Page 143 (169) of Wood.

https://ia800803.us.archive.org/28/...-wood_vertebrae-zoology_z7996v4w81931c_v1.pdf . Apparently not on BHL.

Zimmer has some information. Page 68-69.

Catalogue of the Edward E. Ayer Ornithological Library . Also not on BHL.

Mr. Jobling your mixed version seems to be the rarest edition of all.
A flower book with a page saying Ex typographeo H. R. de Brenk like the non-typo edition of CGA both from 1850. The shape of the number one on page one is the same. Prodromus florae Batavae
The typography was by Dr. Hendrik Roelof de Breuk .

The Early Dutch Sinologists (1854-1900) .

He worked on a journal for Temminck in 1847.

Coup-d'oeil général sur les possessions néerlandaises dans l'Inde archipélagique . Page iv.

And he worked on Monographie des loxiens by Schlegel and Bonaparte 1850. Not sure about the number one but the bold text looks just like that in first edition CGA.

Details - Monographie des loxiens - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Interesting letter:

Charles-Lucien Bonaparte (1803-1857), ornithologist. L.A.S. to zoologist Henri Milne-Edwards (1800-1885). Leiden, 4 July 1850. 2 pp. in-4. Address on the spine with postmarks and wax stamp. Nice letter on the publication of his work on bird sight, Conspectus Generum Avium (Leiden, 1850

Auction Charles-Lucien Bonaparte (1803-1857), ornithologist.... | Gazette Drouot .
EDIT, sorry Laurent I see now that Richmond in Wood is saying the typo error edition is (probably) later and so agrees with you. "...no new names had been added or other changes made in the (probably) later printing except certain typographical errors."

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back