• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tortoise (testudo hermanni) eggs in garden (1 Viewer)

Hsupar

Turkey
Hi, I have a question for tortoise enthusiasts among us.
We've been living in a dense urban area, in a 15 year old building, years ago in the garden of which we've discovered that a couple of tortoises have also taken residence. Nice large garden - almost like a small park, so lots of room to walk around, regularly irrigated, lots to eat. Other residents also share their lettuce leftovers with the tortoises etc. And the family of course has expanded with new generations. Now I was taking a walk yesterday to find a clutch of 5 eggs (yay new generation!), but not buried, at the root of some shrubs. (see photo as I found them)
My question is, do they look ok? Should they have been buried? Is there anything I should do to ensure that they are safe? I'm not sure if the parent left them like that or a cat or something dug them out. We have lots of crows, magpies, seagulls in the area as well, are they open target for these guys?
Thanks in advance, please do let me know if there is anything I should do. I'll be regularly monitoring these guys.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-07-17 at 13.27.46.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-17 at 13.27.46.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 8
Do you think I should do something to cover them? They look a bit suspicious but I haven't found any info on the nature of nesting area, and don't want to interfere unless I need to. But it is weird that they get direct sun in the mornings, and we're having a bit of a heat spell here.
(edit: still researching this though, I'll try to take a closer look and see about chalking and veins. Everyone please feel free to advise me)

Do you think I should do something to cover them? They look a bit suspicious but I haven't found any info on the nature of nesting area, and don't want to interfere unless I need to. But it is weird that they get direct sun in the mornings, and we're having a bit of a heat spell here.
(edit: still researching this though, I'll try to take a closer look and see about chalking and veins. Everyone please feel free to advise me)
Sorry, not able to advise.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back