• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Training missions for young swallows? (1 Viewer)

B1FF

Austria
Hello, I noticed a small flock of birds the other day and thought those were sparrows at first, but the birds had pointy wings and were flying in a fairly synchronized and acrobatic manner. Swallows are a common sight here, especially during dusk, but I've never seen them in flocks (except in fall when they leave for the season). The brbs were also smaller than swallows usually are. This got me the idea that what I was seeing were young swallows practicing diving and banking together. The flock was going in circles around the neighborhood and returned to the airspace above my garden again and again, so getting somewhere was clearly not the objective. Ever heard of such a thing? (Just curious; google didn't turn up evidence. The birds were also singing constantly, so a platoon of jogging army rookies came to mind.) Thanks.

Hi,

Hello, I noticed a small flock of birds the other day and thought those were sparrows at first, but the birds had pointy wings and were flying in a fairly synchronized and acrobatic manner.

Are you familiar with Swifts (Mauerseglern)? They have quite pointy wings and, being quite slender, might be perceived as smaller than swallows though they are actually a bit larger.

They often fly around in groups (in urban neighbourhoods), going in circles and other figures while chasing each other, and constantly calling high-notes ("Srriii - Srriii").

(Young birds capable of flight normally are just as big as their parents, so you can't usually use size to judge age as with young mammals.)

Regards,

Henning

Thanks!

Are you familiar with Swifts (Mauerseglern)?

No. (I spent most of my life in an inner city. Now in a small town with many... birds. My first bird-book came today.)

They have quite pointy wings and, being quite slender, might be perceived as smaller than swallows though they are actually a bit larger.

Sounds plausible, swift is in the new book. (The book also has silhouettes of birds in flight, perfect for next time.)

They often fly around in groups (in urban neighbourhoods), going in circles and other figures while chasing each other, and constantly calling high-notes ("Srriii - Srriii").

This fits the bill, no pun intended, including audio, as far as I remember.

(Young birds capable of flight normally are just as big as their parents, so you can't usually use size to judge age as with young mammals.)

Good to know, thanks again.

Thanks!

No. (I spent most of my life in an inner city. Now in a small town with many... birds. My first bird-book came today.)
Sounds plausible, swift is in the new book. (The book also has silhouettes of birds in flight, perfect for next time.)

This fits the bill, no pun intended, including audio, as far as I remember.

Good to know, thanks again.
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;) There are lots of info on bird so study your new Field Guide :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back