• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Transparency vs light transmission (1 Viewer)

Robert Moore

I have a question for Henry. How can a binocular with a lower light transmission look more transparent than one with a higher light transmission? The two I am looking at Zeiss 8x42HT vs Swarovski 8x42 NL pure. The NL looks better than any binoculars I have looked through for transparency but only has 91% transmission.

I have a question for Henry. How can a binocular with a lower light transmission look more transparent than one with a higher light transmission? The two I am looking at Zeiss 8x42HT vs Swarovski 8x42 NL pure. The NL looks better than any binoculars I have looked through for transparency but only has 91% transmission.
I’d argue transparency is completely subjective but would be interested in Henry’s take as well.

I definitely have binos with bad light transmission that have superior sharpness and contrast, like the Komz 7x30. Maybe that makes it look more "transparent"? I don't know. On the other hand -- shouldn't both be the same? As higher light transmission means the glass is more transparent -- it let's more light get through.

Could it be they have such good contrast that it makes them seem more transparent? Just wanted some thoughts on this. Surly I am not the only one that’s noticed it.

But transparency it is a much too subjective term compared to light transmission which has a measurable value
I think we're doing some metaphysics here.

Physically, transparency is nothing more than light permeability (transmission) and thus the opposite of opacity, so lack of transparency.

How each individual dresses up the term is of course subjective, physically it is clarified.
For me, transparency is just clear and bright.

Andreas

Transparency to me is like looking with your eyes and no glass influence. No milky haze to the view just brilliant clarity and on a day with low humidity they are just outstanding. Both the 8 and 10x42 NL.
On occasions while using the NL 8x42 I have had the experience of just being there, I would describe it as if there was no glass between me and what I am looking at. I haven't had that with any other binocular, not quite to the level of the NL anyway.
This interests me greatly as it is a wonderful experience for the user.

Last edited:

"The light transmission of a material indicates how well it transmits incident light. Light transmission is, therefore, the technical term for transparency to light. Light-transmitting materials may be transparent or translucent: When viewed through transparent materials, contours are sharply defined; in translucent materials they are indistinct."

The NL has less aberrations that distort the view?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back