• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tree pipit? Madrid (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Is this a Tree Pipit?
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Bisbita arbóreo.jpg
    Bisbita arbóreo.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 97
  • Bisbita arbóreo 2.jpg
    Bisbita arbóreo 2.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 95
  • Bisbita 3.jpg
    Bisbita 3.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 95

KenM

This looks more Tree than Meadow to my eye- appears to have a creamy yellow wash to the unders and face, no discernible streaking to the flanks, a less than contrasting eye-ring (normally the case with Meadow). Fleshy bare parts and fwiw I don’t think you can put too much faith in the fore-shortened hind claw (a bit like looking at an image of a swimming pool in someone’s garden/yard with the parallax making it look much longer than it really is. And finally it’s resting on a not insubstantial limb of a tree, something I’ve seen Tree Pipits do frequently but never Meadow.

Cheers

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Not the best viewing angles but I agree with Ken, Tree Pipit for me too imo.
  • While the length of the hind claw is ambiguous and can be on both species due to variation, I see a hind claw steeply arched and bubble gum pink - on MP the claw is flatter and dark, only pink at the tip.
  • The bare part colouring is better for TP - again I see bubble pink legs not brownish pink and pink lower mandible (the latter being more yellowish in MP)
  • While the face features are not very distinct, it clearly has a broken eye ring in front of the eye, on MP the eyering is usually unbroken
  • From what can be made out of the few flank streaks visible, they look very fine to me and pencil mark like.
  • The base of the bill looks quite heavy imo
  • The wing coverts pattern look better for Tree Pipit

Alexander Stöhr

Thank you, Ken and Deb! New features, that I didnt knew: different colour of claws and differences in behaviour (...And finally it’s resting on a not insubstantial limb of a tree, something I’ve seen Tree Pipits do frequently but never Meadow."). Interesting stuff, thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread