• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Treecreeper Germany (1 Viewer)

McHeath

Eurasian or Short Toed? Any takers? :)
(Berlin, Germany, end of July)

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Attachments

• Treecreeper 1 (1).JPG
    Treecreeper 1 (1).JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 61
  • Treecreeper 1 (2).JPG
    Treecreeper 1 (2).JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 63
  • Treecreeper 1 (3).JPG
    Treecreeper 1 (3).JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 60
  • Treecreeper 1 (4).JPG
    Treecreeper 1 (4).JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 62
It has a quite sullied underside and curved hind claw. The ends of the flight feathers do have white tips, which all point to Short-toed IMVHO. I'm not sure if Berlin counts as Eastern Europe (help me Alexander or Lou), but its getting there, where the subspecies would be familiaris and the belly would of course be white, not brown tinged.

Hello Andy,
not much of help from me. Ssp familiaris occurs in "eastern Europe" and has a broad zone of integration according to literature. The only "clearcut" border I found is in the challenging-book by the much missed Martin Garner, where Poland is shown as familiaris-land with the political boarders represents the boarders of distribution.
I have posted some pictures from the polish-german boarder in this thread: Treecreeper ID, Poland

Regarding this bird, I agree with Andy its a quite sure Short-toed imo. But its a hard bird for me, as bill-length is difficult to judge (still seems better for ST than for Eurasian, same with length of the hind-claw, which I find very difficult to judge) and the fine details of the plumage arent easy to judge here. Yes, tips to primaries are white and seems restricted and diamond-shaped

Thanks to all for your very helpful comments!
It's worth mentioning that I have heard the calls and songs of both species of Treecreepers at this location. Also: Berlin is on or near the (fairly wide and fluctuating) boundaries of several species divided between Eastern and Western Europe (the Treecreepers, also Carrion Crow/Hooded Crow and Nightingale/Thrush Nightingale).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back