• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Treecreeper or Short-toed Treecreeper, Zagreb, Croatia (1 Viewer)

The bird was filmed in January in Zagreb. It sounds different than the Short-toed Treecreepers I’ve filmed before and that’s why I assumed it could be a Treecreeper, but I’m not sure that’s enough.

I agree with Lou, that the calls match Short-toed treecreeper.
Please note, that Short-toed treecreeper can call extremly like an Eurasian TC on rarer occasions, that is hardly distinguashable to the human ear (sound recordings and analizes might be a different story?).
More, you filmed two birds that seems to interact in some way. Its either a pair during display or some kind of territorial defense (both look similar to me, as I dont have enough experience). But I have heard ST-Treecreeper making higher pitched, shrill, Blue Tit like calls on such occasions.

Said that, I must admit, that I have looked for stills in your video, where ID can be supported by plumage. Because your bird seems to show pure, bright white underparts, even on the rear flanks. I know, Short-toed treecreeper are said to get greyer and whiter towards the east, but such, bright pure white flanks (as they appear in your video) are extremly rare in Short-toed treecreeper in central and western Europe (I dont speak of birds with all-whitish underparts and flanks), but long bill is also better for a Short-toed treecreeper.

I agree with Lou, that the calls match Short-toed treecreeper.
Please note, that Short-toed treecreeper can call extremly like an Eurasian TC on rarer occasions, that is hardly distinguashable to the human ear (sound recordings and analizes might be a different story?).
More, you filmed two birds that seems to interact in some way. Its either a pair during display or some kind of territorial defense (both look similar to me, as I dont have enough experience). But I have heard ST-Treecreeper making higher pitched, shrill, Blue Tit like calls on such occasions.

Said that, I must admit, that I have looked for stills in your video, where ID can be supported by plumage. Because your bird seems to show pure, bright white underparts, even on the rear flanks. I know, Short-toed treecreeper are said to get greyer and whiter towards the east, but such, bright pure white flanks (as they appear in your video) are extremly rare in Short-toed treecreeper in central and western Europe (I dont speak of birds with all-whitish underparts and flanks), but long bill is also better for a Short-toed treecreeper.
I filmed the bird 5 years ago and as far as I can remember, I think there is only one bird on the shot. During the recording, the weather was cloudy, so the recording is worse. Thank you for the detailed explanations and I will now find it easier to change the name of the bird when I hear the opinion of someone who knows more than me. Thank you very much.
Best regards !
Zlatko

Hello Zlatko,

I must admit, that I was biased by the behaviour, that reminded me of observations, when Treecreepers seemed some kind of excited, due to other Treecreepers beeing around (during display or what seems to be territorial defense) or predators around.

But, even after a second, more closer look, I still think, the other bird, visible from 0:30 min on, is a second Treecreeper. There are two birds visible in the same frame at this time.

Hello Zlatko,

I must admit, that I was biased by the behaviour, that reminded me of observations, when Treecreepers seemed some kind of excited, due to other Treecreepers beeing around (during display or what seems to be territorial defense) or predators around.

But, even after a second, more closer look, I still think, the other bird, visible from 0:30 min on, is a second Treecreeper. There are two birds visible in the same frame at this time.
I agree, you are right. There are two birds. I don’t usually watch the videos I make again because I review them a lot of times when I make them. I have the impression that all the birds that are voted frequently are always together with one or more birds and this allows them to stick together. Thank you Alexander again for your help and explanations.
Best regards !
Zlatko

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back