• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trekking pole with camera mount head - recommendations? (2 Viewers)

I've searched through previous posts but they seem to be 10 or more years old.

It seems logical that if you use a trekking pole when out walking that having a camera mount at the top enables you to use it as a monopod.
I recall seeing some back in the day, but not more recently.
I can find some by searching but as usual a recommendation is very useful.

My current trekking poles are Leki and have served me well for many years, so that is a starting point.

I am looking, I think, for a trekking pole which can double as a monopod, rather than a monopod which can double as a trekking pole.
It would need to be sturdy enough to keep me safe on steep slopes going up and down as well as a walking aid on the flat.
It would also need the metal point and plastic basket for gripping rock and not sinking into mud.

I've just measured up quickly and eye level is around 1.6 metres so I would expect that the pole would have to extend that far.
The current Leki poles only extend to 1.4 metres and so are a little short.
I have a Jessops Monopod 223 which also extends to 1.4 metres which I have used in the past (but can't remember how recently).
However there is no way that I would use this as a walking pole.

Anyone using such a beast that they could recommend?

Just looked up Leki poles on Amazon and they are around £125 a pair!
Pretty sure that I didn't pay that kind of price but it was a long time back.
Leki Photosystem seems to fit the bill.
Shame that everywhere is out of stock at the moment (pending more searching).

I recently purchased a threaded walking stick handle that will screw directly onto my monopod on amazon for £5 new. It can be screwed on horizontally as a walking stick or vertically as a walking pole.
Great if you want to fly as you can take it on the plane as a walking stick. If this would fit what you want I will try and find a link
Update, I've just looked at my order and it is no longer available. There are several that look the same but start from £10.99

AFFVO Monopod Handle Walking Stick Grip Trekking Poles Head for Hiking, Climbing, Outdoor Photography​

Last edited:
I recently purchased a threaded walking stick handle that will screw directly onto my monopod on amazon for £5 new. It can be screwed on horizontally as a walking stick or vertically as a walking pole.
Great if you want to fly as you can take it on the plane as a walking stick. If this would fit what you want I will try and find a link
Update, I've just looked at my order and it is no longer available. There are several that look the same but start from £10.99

AFFVO Monopod Handle Walking Stick Grip Trekking Poles Head for Hiking, Climbing, Outdoor Photography​

Thanks.
That converts a monopod into a walking stick, but I don't think that most monopods have all the required features of a walking pole, such as the metal spike at the bottom and the basket for soft ground.
I'm not sure that monopods are built to take the abuse that walking sticks take going across rough country either.
I would expect one to take most (perhaps all) of my weight in an emergency.

I have used a Leki monopod/walking pole in the past. It was certainly good, if a little pricey, I have bought cheaper ones, but you tend to get what you pay for as the cheaper ones have plastic compasses and grips that are a little fragile, but the one I tried was useable. I have no idea where my Leki went.......probably turning to coal somewhere in the garage.

N.B. I have a monopod somewhere that feels sturdy enough to support a small elephant (slight exageration), on the other hand the Leki was considerably lighter and rather more practical.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back