• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trimpley Reservoir & Eymore Wood (1 Viewer)

11 Crossbills reported in Eymore today, near the top car park at midday.

Given the huge (comparatively) flock of Two-barreds in the Forest of Dean at the moment I wonder if something more interesting is lurking with them ....

Last edited:
13 Crossbills reported in Eymore today; given the huge (comparatively) flock of Two-barreds in the Forest of Dean at the moment I wonder if something more interesting is lurking with them ....

Interesting Phil, Are see if I can get up there tomorrow and have a look!

11 Crossbills reported in Eymore today, near the top car park at midday.

Given the huge (comparatively) flock of Two-barreds in the Forest of Dean at the moment I wonder if something more interesting is lurking with them ....

20 Crossbills reported in Eymore Wood today

Thursday 21st November...early pm:

Only 13 Common Crossbills at Eymore today and fairly mobile. (Try as I might I couldn't make one into a Two-barred or Parrot)

Thursday 21st November...early pm:

Only 13 Common Crossbills at Eymore today and fairly mobile. (Try as I might I couldn't make one into a Two-barred or Parrot)

Hi Jason
We were thinking of going for a walk tomorrow around Eymore and the reservoir/river. Were the Crossbill around the top (forest) car park at all or in the wood?

Cheers
Tom

Hi Jason
We were thinking of going for a walk tomorrow around Eymore and the reservoir/river. Were the Crossbill around the top (forest) car park at all or in the wood?

Cheers
Tom

Hi Tom,
They were tending to favour the Larches near the top car park, but they would fly off into the wood or further down the lane periodically but would return again after a while.

Best bet would be to park near the top end of the top car park and walk down the lane to the reservoir footpath checking all the roadside larches on the way down and you should pick them up. They are quite vocal in flight too and you will often hear them before they drop in.

A good recording of their call can be heard here:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/30574

Hope this helps
Jase

Last edited:
Thanks for the Info Jason, I will be down trimpley most of the day tomorrow so will have a look out for them! Hopefully get some good images

Parked at top car park at 9.15 an instantly connected with Crossbills above car park before flying into the wood. After a good walk around found them again just down from top car park.

Good numbers of Coal Tits present, Green Woody, and 2 Fieldfare other highlights.

Attachments

• photo copy 2.JPG
    photo copy 2.JPG
    647 KB · Views: 66
  • photo copy.JPG
    photo copy.JPG
    628.5 KB · Views: 54
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    574.8 KB · Views: 61
Parked at top car park at 9.15 an instantly connected with Crossbills above car park before flying into the wood. After a good walk around found them again just down from top car park.

Good numbers of Coal Tits present, Green Woody, and 2 Fieldfare other highlights.

Must have seen you about! I was at the top of the woods around 7:30/8ish and was down on the res till 12, I agree with you, there was a fair numbers of crossbill about

I only did the upper woods after the Crossbills around 9.15-11.00. Stunning place in that sunshine. Anything good on river or res ?

I only did the upper woods after the Crossbills around 9.15-11.00. Stunning place in that sunshine. Anything good on river or res ?

Nothing on the river, there has hardly been anything on the river for weeks apart from Keith the Seal ;) The res was just the normal cormorants and Herons again

Attachments

• 11009409173_f7063c62b2_c.jpg
    11009409173_f7063c62b2_c.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 42
Visited this afternoon 12.30 till 2. I found the crossbill behind the top car park after about 30 minutes. The were very vocal and at most 20-30 of them. Although I only saw them all together once when something spooked them into the air. The rest of the time they were in 6/7's.

Lovely views.

Visited this afternoon 12.30 till 2. I found the crossbill behind the top car park after about 30 minutes. The were very vocal and at most 20-30 of them. Although I only saw them all together once when something spooked them into the air. The rest of the time they were in 6/7's.

Lovely views.

Oh well got there about 2:30, unfortunately couldn't get there any earlier this time, parked at the top car park, think we heard them once or twice but couldn't find them! Stayed until 16:20 and think we saw a few flying over, but by then it was too dark to tell. Oh well next time (say that every time we go!)

No sign of the Crossbills when I was there this afternoon and no sound of them calling. That said there is a lot of woodland there for them to roam about with the adjacent Arley Estate and Hawkbatch just across the river, so they could well be still present.

Crossbills

Crossbills seen this afternoon at top car park between 1.30 and 2.00. There were at least 6, but possibly upto 12 in with about a dozen Goldfinch, some Siskin, plus Great and Coal Tit all in the same tree at the same time.

So after many attempts finally bagged our first Crossbills at Eymore.

Cheers
Tom & Tina

Quick walk late afternoon before dusk:

Treecreeper
Great-spotted Woodpecker
Nuthatch
Buzzard
Siskin
Goldfinch
Chaffinch
Goldcrest
Black-headed Gull
Cormorant
Grey Heron
Wigeon (pair)
Tufted Duck (pair)
Mallard
Goosander
Coal Tit
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Blackbird
Redwing
Song Thrush
Robin

Blimey - i only thought it was a rumour or perhaps Matthew Sparkes had reported a 'Palmer-Warbler' in the Wyre but the real deal has to be an early Spring sighting;)

Laurie:t:
You are a bit late to the party mate but quite why you find the time to post an angry emoji at such an old post in an almost defunct thread is beyond me.....

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back