• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid pre HD vs Trinovid HD 10x42 (2 Viewers)

In terms of objective information and deceased equines . . .

We know from information published by Leica, that the particular models in the BA/ BN series and those in the Ultravid BR/ HD/ HD+ series,
do have the same number of lenses e.g the 10x42 BA verses the 10x42 HD
See posts #19 and 21 at: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/what’s-your-favorite-7x42-binoculars.379534/#post-3877716

However as I noted, this does not mean that the lenses have remained identical in terms of shape, composition and spacing,
in the 30 years since the introduction of the BA *
One would reasonably expect that the designs were refined over time, especially with the introduction of the new Ultravid body

In support of this, compare the eyepieces of the 8x42 BA and the 8x42 UV HD. The front and rear eyepiece groups have clearly been modified,
if only to allow for the different mounting of the lenses
It seems clear that optically the Ultravids are a refinement rather than a reimagining of the original BA/ BN line

* With many products it’s not unusual for engineers to repeatedly revise a design during production, for a variety of reasons
e.g. to address weak points, to use different sourced materials, to incorporate newer production technology
It’s just that typically consumers are not aware of such internal changes

- - - -
In relation to the newer Trinovids information is scarce . . .

Leica has stated that the 8x42 and 10x42 Trinovids (those from 2012 to 2016) each had 9 lenses per side, so again consistent with the above
And while there’s a drawn cutaway of the 8x42 version, it’s not all that informative in terms of detail
In contrast, I’ve not seen any similar detail for the current 2016 HD version of the Trinovid

However, in comparing the specifications for the 2012 and 2016 models note the differing eye relief, which would indicate a modified eyepiece
(and as can be seen, while the 2012 Trinovids had the same ER as their Ultravid counterparts, they had slightly less FOV)

John

Attachments

• BA 8x42.jpg
    BA 8x42.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 38
  • UV HD 8x42, per Foto HH.jpg
    UV HD 8x42, per Foto HH.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Trinovid 8x42.jpg
    Trinovid 8x42.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Trinovid 2012 Spec sheet.jpg
    Trinovid 2012 Spec sheet.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Trinovid 2016 Spec sheet.jpg
    Trinovid 2016 Spec sheet.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 35
  • HD Plus x42 Spec sheet.jpg
    HD Plus x42 Spec sheet.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Why does the more sensible possibility not occur to you that I have indeed compared the Trinovid BR with the UVHD, while the "one" I'm not familiar with is the new Trinovid HD (which my assumption was apparently wrong about)... as I've actually said in post #41 (and #45 point 2) above?

That's because "the same" is in fact false, given a different distortion profile in the 10x Trinovid. "Basically the same" (as I've already said) gets into subjective judgments of how important the difference is. It matters to me, and I strongly suspect that others who say such things haven't even seen the 10x, as you haven't, and are speaking from ignorance.

Again, why would it be true: due to what? Care to think about that for a moment? Mere generalization from a single instance is not a valid principle. I've studied logic, but that doesn't mean everyone has.

You keep questioning simple factual statements and ignoring or misconstruing what I say. You propose hypotheses without any reason to expect them to be true. You fail to recognize that the generalization "8x models have more pincushioning than 10x" (which had no rationale in the first place) is refuted by citing example(s) to the contrary, like the 32mm UVs. This has become an annoying waste of time, and I will not respond further to you.
@tenex. Thank you for your responses. Perhaps you expressed your thoughts about the Trinovid BR in less than the best way, and I did the same with my reaction and enquiries. Let's move on............

I would be interested in any comments you have about @eitanaltman 's post #57 and @John A Roberts post above.

Last edited:
...Leica's general trend of toning down the PCD...
I've been wondering how I missed this "trend", and the answer appears to be that the impression evaporates once one looks beyond the 10x42 models. I see no obvious difference between our 10x32 BN and HD+, both of which have quite strong PCD (though I can't quantify it to two significant digits), and Allbinos measures a paltry 36% threshold for the 8x32 HD. Also 45% for 8x42 HD, and 39% for 10x50 HD. So much for generally toning it down.

Last edited:
This is with regard to the 8x and not the 10x, but nonetheless goes some way to further indicate why there seems to be a general consensus that the 8x42 Trinovid was/is perceived as an Ultravid BR in a new (at the time) slightly less expensive package (translated from Italian using Google):-

'Leica does not declare the composition of the glasses used in the Leica Trinovid 8x42. In summary I can confirm that it does not have the same colour rendering and contrast in the centre of the field as the Leica Ultravid HD, however their rendering reminds me a lot of that of the best Top of the range of four -five years ago.'

It would seem
(to be) the non-HD Leica Ultravid with a new graphic design. At the time, the old Ultravid, cost much more. This is therefore a step forward both for the company and for potential buyers.

Well it was certainly a step forward for potential buyers, but, as most here seem to agree, not for the company, hence it's relatively short lifespan........

The full review can be seen here:- https://www.binomania.it/binocoli/Leica_trinovid8x42/leicatrinovid8x42.php

In terms of objective information and deceased equines . . .

We know from information published by Leica, that the particular models in the BA/ BN series and those in the Ultravid BR/ HD/ HD+ series,
do have the same number of lenses e.g the 10x42 BA verses the 10x42 HD
See posts #19 and 21 at: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/what’s-your-favorite-7x42-binoculars.379534/#post-3877716

However as I noted, this does not mean that the lenses have remained identical in terms of shape, composition and spacing,
in the 30 years since the introduction of the BA *
One would reasonably expect that the designs were refined over time, especially with the introduction of the new Ultravid body

In support of this, compare the eyepieces of the 8x42 BA and the 8x42 UV HD. The front and rear eyepiece groups have clearly been modified,
if only to allow for the different mounting of the lenses
It seems clear that optically the Ultravids are a refinement rather than a reimagining of the original BA/ BN line

* With many products it’s not unusual for engineers to repeatedly revise a design during production, for a variety of reasons
e.g. to address weak points, to use different sourced materials, to incorporate newer production technology
It’s just that typically consumers are not aware of such internal changes

- - - -
In relation to the newer Trinovids information is scarce . . .

Leica has stated that the 8x42 and 10x42 Trinovids (those from 2012 to 2016) each had 9 lenses per side, so again consistent with the above
And while there’s a drawn cutaway of the 8x42 version, it’s not all that informative in terms of detail
In contrast, I’ve not seen any similar detail for the current 2016 HD version of the Trinovid

However, in comparing the specifications for the 2012 and 2016 models note the differing eye relief, which would indicate a modified eyepiece
(and as can be seen, while the 2012 Trinovids had the same ER as their Ultravid counterparts, they had slightly less FOV)

John
Thanks John, the info is appreciated - all in one place.

Andy W.

"...Leica's general trend of toning down the PCD..."
I've been wondering how I missed this "trend", and the answer appears to be that the impression evaporates once one looks beyond the 10x42 models. I see no obvious difference between our 10x32 BN and HD+, both of which have quite strong PCD (though I can't quantify it to two significant digits), and Allbinos measures a paltry 36% threshold for the 8x32 HD. Also 45% for 8x42 HD, and 39% for 10x50 HD. So much for generally toning it down.
...I thought someone might want to draw the obvious conclusion from this, but in any case I will. The 10x42 Trinovid BR is the only Leica I know with so little PCD that it actually starts to show some AMD, and I like that formula. There is however no overall pattern or trend -- even its 8x sibling is apparently different -- only a range of variation in which this represents one curious extreme, and to which actual intention cannot easily be attributed.

Last edited:
Thanks for your summing up @tenex. I suppose the only question that remains with regard to the 8x42 and 10x42 Trinovid BR is whether they have the same optical construction or not (apart from magnification), and how independent of different optics PCD can be between similar models of different magnification.

Hello,

I am in a process to buy an almost new Trinovid 10x42. It is the previous Trinovid to the Trinovid HD. I understand they were made for a few years, 2012 to 2015 or so.
I cannot find here comments about one vs. the other, but a few years ago I compared a new Ultravid HD vs a new Trinovid pre-HD, both in 10x42.
To me, between those two samples THAT T was clearly better in therms of sharpness than THAT UVHD (pre HD+).
Thank you for your comments!

Best

PHA
Hello, I'm about to do the same. Any new thought about that? By the way, what’s the difference in weight between non-HD and HD? Thanks

Hello Hobby,

I bought that Trinovid 2012 model in 10x42. Was a gift for my eldest son. I, and of course he, were very happy and satisfied with the binocular!!! Classic Leica view, saturated colours, high contrast and superb sharpness.
I never tested side by side with the newer Trinovid HD 2016 model. Only with one sample of the UV HD (non HD+). My sample of the Trinovid 2012 had better optics to me. At a substantially lower price!
About the weight differences between 2012 and the THD 2016 versions, see the useful Spec sheets (I saved them) posted here by John A Roberts, post 61 Feb 26 2021:
Tr. 2012 weights are 795 gr for the 8x42 and 810 gr for the 10x42
Tr. 2016 weights are 730 gr for both 8x42 and 10x42.

Good luck!

PHA

Hello Hobby,

I bought that Trinovid 2012 model in 10x42. It was a gift for my eldest son. I, and of course he, were very happy and satisfied with the binocular!!! Classic Leica view, saturated colours, high contrast and superb sharpness.
I never tested side by side with the newer Trinovid HD 2016 model. Only with one sample of the UV HD (non HD+). My sample of the Trinovid 2012 had better optics to me. At a substantially lower price!
About the weight differences between 2012 and the THD 2016 versions, see the useful Spec sheets (I saved them) posted here by John A Roberts, post 61 Feb 26 2021:
Tr. 2012 weights are 795 gr for the 8x42 and 810 gr for the 10x42
Tr. 2016 weights are 730 gr for both 8x42 and 10x42.

Good luck!

PHA
That’s very helpful. I only needed a final nudge. I’ll get it if still available. Thanks a lot

Good luck Hobby,

One more thing about the weight: in a 10x binocular I like some more weight than with lower magnifications!

Best!

PHA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back