• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod and head for Kowa TSN-773 (1 Viewer)

Jessica46

United Kingdom
Hi, I’ve recently ordered a secondhand Kowa 773 and I would like recommendations on suitable tripods and heads for it. I’m relatively short (5’3) and would ideally like a Carbon Fibre tripod as I will be doing a lot of walking with it so
It needs to be fairly lightweight. My previous scopes mr tripods have all been hand me downs and currently I have a Velbon Delta with a PH157Q head but it’s quite heavy so would appreciate suggestions for anything lighter than this, I’m based in the UK. Many thanks

Congratulations on the scope - I also have one. We should start an owners club! :giggle:

You might want to suggest a budget. If you can stretch to carbon I'd definitely go that way. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.

I am happy with my Leofoto carbon tripods. They are not ultra expensive but they are very well designed and manufactured.

I would recommend the Really Right Stuff Ascend 14. For larger spotting scopes, the added stability of quality carbon fiber is very much appreciated. The 28mm upper legs of the RRS are MUCH more stable than the 32mm legs of a Leofoto or similar Chinese made tripod. Leofoto has good designs because of intellectual theft of RRS designs. Quality is only perceived in a knockoff.
I used a Gitzo 25mm leg tripod for a Kowa 773 in the past, however it was lacking at full extension.

Hi, I’ve recently ordered a secondhand Kowa 773 and I would like recommendations on suitable tripods and heads for it. I’m relatively short (5’3) and would ideally like a Carbon Fibre tripod as I will be doing a lot of walking with it so
It needs to be fairly lightweight. My previous scopes mr tripods have all been hand me downs and currently I have a Velbon Delta with a PH157Q head but it’s quite heavy so would appreciate suggestions for anything lighter than this, I’m based in the UK. Many thanks
I started looking at this for the same reason recently im also in the UK, there were three that were recommended to me :

Kite Ardea Carbon Fibre tripod with Manfrotto 128 RC head​

and

Viking Swallow Tripod With Fluid Head Aluminium​

and

Vanguard VEO 3 263CO Carbon Fibre Birdwatcher Tall Tripod​

I still haven't made up my mind which tripod to go for yet but I have ordered the Manfrotto head to use on one of my existing photography tripods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back