• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod carry cases (1 Viewer)

DWStone

Scotland
Hi, I'm looking for some tips on carry bags/cases for tripods. Well, a specific tripod actually, the Gitzo GT3531S.

Does anyone know which of the Gitzo tripod cases/bags will fit this model?

Alternatively, any other non-Gitzo recommended options?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

D

Thanks Phil, good question and I probably should have clarified.

I will be using it for both!

Primarily in the field for survey work, but also to go into a large carrying case when travelling overseas (it just goes in the case 'as is' at the moment).

D

In the field carrying options discussed in this thread

Thanks Mike. I carry my tripod alongside a lot of other gear - backpack, chair, etc, and unpack the lot when I get there. Looking for something to protect it against the elements en route to where I'm going (and to pack it away to protect it from the elements when I'm there!), so it's really a carry case/bag I had in mind. Preferably whichever Gitzo bag is specifically for that particular tripod model (not sure which bag that is!), or alternative options.

I used to have tripod bags sewn up from 4 mm felt with a velcro fastening. They provided good padding and protection for travel in the car or in a suitcase for airline travel.
Berlebach (website also in English) have a wide selection of tripod bags at reasonable prices.
However, for my latest acquisition I won't bother and will just wrap up the tripod in an old blanket.

John

Go to the B&H Photo Video website and you can search on tripod carry cases and sort for length. Only need to add the height of your head to the 24 inches of the tripod to determine the length to get. You can get the Vidpro case for only $17.

A peeve of mine is companies like Gitzo and RRS that sell a $1000 tripod with only a cardboard box for transporting it. With Feisol and Robus I got excellent carry cases included with the legs that would cost me $100 or more to buy a similar quality carry case as with Gitzo and RRS.

My travel tripods are 22 inches or shorter when collapsed and so have never been a problem to hand carry without a case onto an aircraft. At this length they fit inside the overhead been crosswise and take up only 4 inches of space (and I put the two tripods inside and then our two jackets on top of the tripods.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back