• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Tripod for Kowa 501 (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

I'm picking up a Kowa 501 scope tomorrow. It'll be a stop gap until I save up for a higher spec scope.

I own a Manfrotto 190CL tripod with a 390RC2 head. These were bought a number of years ago for my DSLR, but I was wondering if the scope will sit on this or would I need to purchase a new head for the tripod?

I must say the tripod is a bit heavy, especially as someone who goes birding by public transport. Do you have any recommendations for any tripods or even monopods that are lightweight and easy to hang off a rucksack when not in use?

Thanks.

jring

Hi,

the legs and head will work fine with the 501, but be a bit overkill. That way you can check the classifieds here and where you live for a good used light CF tripod or monopod.

The 501 will work nicely on a monopod, but of course you loose the possibility to share the view with others...
In case you want to go the monopod route, make sure that it is high enough to let you use your scope comfortably! Unlike with tripods, where you usually have a head and center column to add more height, a monopod needs to fit you.

Joachim

JTweedie

Thanks Joachim.

I have the scope now and it's obvious that it really needs to be on a tripod or monopod to get the best from it. It sits OK on the Manfrotto tripod but as you say it's maybe a bit much for such a small scope. One thing that's always annoyed me about this tripod is that the quick release plate has never sat really snuggly - there's always been a very slight wiggle in it.

I'll have a look into monopods now.

JTweedie

Thanks Steve, looks good. I quite like the idea of the ball head too to make moving the scope around more effortless.

Users who are viewing this thread