• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tripod head for an Athlon Optics Cronus 20-60x86 ED Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

sidpost

United States
I have a SLIK carbon fiber tripod (PRO CF-934) inbound but, I haven't settled on the head for it. At a touch over 4lbs and 14" in length, I want a good head but, I also don't want to overbuy something needlessly heavy and far above what I need.

I have a PRO 724 CBH inbound for its baby brother, the Athlon Optics Cronus 12-36x50 ED which comes with a starter ball head however, I'm debating getting a SLIK SH-707 E Multi-action 2-Way Pan Head for it thinking its compact dimensions and lighter weight will work well with this 2-way single handle head.

The 724 will likely end up being my 'travel' tripod but, assuming the 934 doesn't end up being too large and heavy, it may also join me for car-based travels. This has me thinking about possibly going a different route for a second head for the 724 to support the big spotting scope too.

What do the experienced around here recommend? I prefer to avoid plastics and China but, I'm open to those suggestions. I just don't want risk damage to an expensive spotting scope trying to save a few bucks; penny wise and pound foolish as the saying goes.

TIA,
Sid

Users who are viewing this thread