• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod & head - overkill? (1 Viewer)

OK I have decided I think!

I like the look of the Sirui VA-5 and think the weight saving over the Manfrotto AH500 will complement the MM4 77. I note it is Arca Swiss compatible, will I need another plate or will the Sirui TY-70A supplied fit straight onto the MM4?

I am tempted by the Leofoto LS-323C John suggested but think I will go with the Velbon Geo 640 as the price difference will go a long way to buying the wide angle lens I want for the scope!

Thanks for all your contributions,

Chris

Thanks Joachim! Paired with a Manfrotto 500AH?

Yes, 500AH on my Geo 530 legs (actually a predecessor called Carmagne 530). Works very well and I got both parts used for less than 150 euros together. Added a mulepack which makes it very comfy to lug around.

Joachim

I have both the Sirui VA-5 and the Manfrotto MVH500AH. I use the Sirui with my Opticron MM4 60 and find it to be an excellent match for this lightweight travelscope. However, if the wind is stronger (from about 14-15mph onwards) I usually use the Manfrotto head instead. The MVH500AH is, in my opinion, a better performing head; it is more stable in the wind, and smoother (the panning on the VA-5, whilst adequate, is a tad jerky by comparison). But in most situations I choose the compactness and lightness of the Sirui over the optimal performance of the Manfrotto. However, for anything substantially heavier than the MM4 60 I would personally prefer to have the MVH500AH to get the best performance out of the scope in the widest range of conditions (The MM4 77 is not a particularly light scope - 1529g with the SDL zoom). But I remember reading on these forums that someone was successfully using an ATS65 (1405g) with the VA-5, so if you are willing to compromise a little bit on performance, it would probably be a good lightweight solution for the MM4 77.

Last edited:
Yes, 500AH on my Geo 530 legs (actually a predecessor called Carmagne 530). Works very well and I got both parts used for less than 150 euros together. Added a mulepack which makes it very comfy to lug around.

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, a real bargain you got! Having read asp09's comment I have decided to go for the 500AH!

Chris

I have both the Sirui VA-5 and the Manfrotto MVH500AH. I use the Sirui with my Opticron MM4 60 and find it to be an excellent match for this lightweight travelscope. However, if the wind is stronger (from about 14-15mph onwards) I usually use the Manfrotto head instead. The MVH500AH is, in my opinion, a better performing head; it is more stable in the wind, and smoother (the panning on the VA-5, whilst adequate, is a tad jerky by comparison). But in most situations I choose the compactness and lightness of the Sirui over the optimal performance of the Manfrotto. However, for anything substantially heavier than the MM4 60 I would personally prefer to have the MVH500AH to get the best performance out of the scope in the widest range of conditions (The MM4 77 is not a particularly light scope - 1529g with the SDL zoom). But I remember reading on these forums that someone was successfully using an ATS65 (1405g) with the VA-5, so if you are willing to compromise a little bit on performance, it would probably be a good lightweight solution for the MM4 77.

Many thanks for your comments asp09, a side by side comparison of the two heads is just what I was hoping for!
The weight saving would have been a bonus, but as I intend this to be my "once and only" set-up (famous last words I know!) I am not prepared to conpronise on performance - the MVH500AH it is!

Thanks again to all who have contributed,

Chris

The MHV500AH is great for several reasons. The long plate allows you to balance the weight of the scope really well. In windy situations you will find that it really helps if you hold the handling bar firmly while you don't tighten the movement lock screws. Doing that, the fluid head will help dampen the vibrations. Not good for repeatability of course if you want to show something to a buddy. But otherwise tightening everything can be a mistake.

Practice it a bit and you will be amazed.

I have received the MVH500AH and the Velbon Geo 630 Cf tripod and it seems like a great combo, thanks to all for your input!

Just waiting on delivery of the scope now, my question is:

Does the QR plate supplied with the head simply attach to the scope and I'm good to go or will I need some sort of adaptor?

Thanks again,

Chris

Hi,

the plate is attached to the foot of the scope with the 1/4" screw.

Joachim

Many thanks Joachim! I thought that would be the case but didn't want to be like the little boy who can't play with his new toy on Christmas Day because he doesn't have any batteries!

Chris

The scope arrived yesterday and I have to say I am delighted with the whole set-up!

Many thanks again to all who contributed, your input was invaluable!

Chris

I have received the MVH500AH and the Velbon Geo 630 Cf tripod and it seems like a great combo, thanks to all for your input!

Just waiting on delivery of the scope now, my question is:

Does the QR plate supplied with the head simply attach to the scope and I'm good to go or will I need some sort of adaptor?

Thanks again,

Chris

Hi
I also have a nice combo, similar to yours (Velbon GEO 630 carbon tripod + Manfrotto 701 HDV fluid head, the predecessor model) and I like it very much. From 2014 I use a big Nikon Fieldscope ED 82A with it and until now I never felt the need to change anything.

Hi
I also have a nice combo, similar to yours (Velbon GEO 630 carbon tripod + Manfrotto 701 HDV fluid head, the predecessor model) and I like it very much. From 2014 I use a big Nikon Fieldscope ED 82A with it and until now I never felt the need to change anything.

Good to know Saxatilis!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back